Noob question on BDC reticles

Seems people have different views of what a bdc reticle looks like. I believe the op is talking about a ffp tremor or Horus or razor gen 2 or nightforce xt These are very accurate and reliable.

Q. How are BDC reticles calibrated?
A. At sea level at around 60 F. with a specific bullet weight, shape and velocity

Are you going to be within all those parameters? Likely not.

->After 300 yards BDC reticles begin to lie.
->Laser rangefinders with ballistic programs that give you either MOA or mil holds cannot be used well with a BDC reticle.

Eric B.
You would be pleasantly surprised watching me go in 100 yard increments out to 600 using a straight rangefinder. It's POI is very good. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Bob,
Perhaps your particular BDC is good to 600 yard for "minute of deer". I prefer more accuracy with mil/mil turrets/ reticle to use with my LRF binocular's hold readings.

Eric B.

It took me more time than I will ever admit to and more money than I will allow myself to EVER calculate to FINALLY accept that your scope is as if not MORE important than your rifle.

I have fianlly accepted the fact that if I want to shoot beyond 400 yards I will have to get a scope with turrets to adjust for wind drift and elevation/bullet drop. My choice as soon as i sell the two still new in box "learning curve scopes" I have will be a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x40mm with TMOA reticle with locking turrets that are also equipped with zero set. This will do all i will ever need to any range i can ever dream of including ranging any target I wish to perforate.

My adivse to you is to get as high quality a scope you can afford that can be adjusted for wind drift, bullet drop and parallax. That way you can shoot to any range you wish and never have to worry about matching your reticles hash marks to one VERY spacific ammunition characteristics. With a MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA scope once you know your ammunition specifics you can enter it along with atmospheric conditions and range into a smart phone app dial and shoot.
Can't really do that with a BDC scope.

Q. How are BDC reticles calibrated?
A. At sea level at around 60 F. with a specific bullet weight, shape and velocity

Are you going to be within all those parameters? Likely not.

->After 300 yards BDC reticles begin to lie.
->Laser rangefinders with ballistic programs that give you either MOA or mil holds cannot be used well with a BDC reticle.

Eric B.

If you use a program, they are calibrated for whatever input you put in. You can change any parameter and print off new yardages for each line and power. Not that hard. Simple white card/duct tape on side of stock.

Darton Jager you are exactly correct. Graduated MOA or Mil turrets and reticles are the best way to go for ANY bullet shape and velocity at ANY reasonable distance.

And if you have a Kestrel weather meter like the 5700 with the Applied Ballistics engine installed you can then shoot at ANY altitude, temperature and humidity with the hold given by entering your lasers distance and letting the Kestrel 5700 do the rest of the sensor and calculation work. The Kestrel will give you a MOA or mil hold and you will use that hold on your reticle. IF you have a "Christmas tree" shaped reticle like the Horus H59 or Tremor 2 or 3 you can also hold accurate windage.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Have been applying BDC reticles for long-range zeroing and rangefinding for many years, and find them just as good as any repeating subtension reticle I've ever used really. I just calculate the drop in MOA and match it to the reticle's MOA in 50 yd intervals. They are fast to apply, and accurate enough (within limitations to 500-600ish yds. for accurate applications). Got a buddy who uses them very effectively for long-range coyotes as well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.