Noob from Louisiana

Hey y'all! New guy here also pretty new to long range hunting. Where I hunt in LA the furthest shot I have is about 120 yards🤣. Last year I went on a trip to wide open Nebraska with some buddies, needless to say I felt out of place. I did end up taking 2 nice bucks the first happened to be only 40 yards but got lucky on the 2nd, missed him at 375 but he came back out a few minutes later at, you guessed it, 120. That's about the furthest I've ever killed and I've taken plenty of deer and hogs in my life, gun and bow. We decided to make the Nebraska trip an annual thing so I guess I need to learn how to shoot far in case I don't get so lucky again. So here I am lol. The only gun I have for longer ranges is a rebuilt Mauser in 7mm08, 1:10 24" barrel. Handed down from my dad, he traded a 50$ guitar amp for it back in the 70s. Pretty sweet little gun, if it could talk I'd love to hear the stories. Under the scope mount is a German swastika I don't know if it was used in service or not but that would be pretty cool if it was taken from a German by an ally soldier. Anyways, I digress, pleasure to meet you all hopefully I can learn from others on here with more experience!
Welcome from north central Montana, so many great people and such vast knowledge of shooting any distance, your going to love it here !

welcome , I have a shop in Covington, La . and have been a competitive long range shooter and build custom hunting rifles . This month above Bogalusa there is a new range opening that will go out to 800 yds . Super excited for everyone in the area to get a taste . I usually have to travel to shoot . Look me up online id be glad to help in any way . Maniacal Arms llc.

welcome , I have a shop in Covington, La . and have been a competitive long range shooter and build custom hunting rifles . This month above Bogalusa there is a new range opening that will go out to 800 yds . Super excited for everyone in the area to get a taste . I usually have to travel to shoot . Look me up online id be glad to help in any way . Maniacal Arms llc.
can you tell me where that range is? I go ride bikes with the family several times a year on st tammany trace but would mind streching out on a range while there!

My cousin lives in the Nebraska Sandhills area. He had to shelve his .270 and go to a 7mm Magnum. He said he had too many shots that were 400 and 500 yards, and his .270 just didn't work well enough for him. He hasn't had a complaint since switching calibers. I cannot say much for his gun choice, but it works for him. It is a "paddle-stock Ruger M77.

Welcome. I shot my first deer with a Swedish Mauser (my grandson now has it), and my first buck with a 8mm German Mauser. I wish I had rebarreled it in 7mm-08. That is a great cartridge. With todays bullets, it would easily kill a moose. My buddy went to Canada to shoot moose and feed a native village. They used .270 and head shots.

Hey y'all! New guy here also pretty new to long range hunting. Where I hunt in LA the furthest shot I have is about 120 yards🤣. Last year I went on a trip to wide open Nebraska with some buddies, needless to say I felt out of place. I did end up taking 2 nice bucks the first happened to be only 40 yards but got lucky on the 2nd, missed him at 375 but he came back out a few minutes later at, you guessed it, 120. That's about the furthest I've ever killed and I've taken plenty of deer and hogs in my life, gun and bow. We decided to make the Nebraska trip an annual thing so I guess I need to learn how to shoot far in case I don't get so lucky again. So here I am lol. The only gun I have for longer ranges is a rebuilt Mauser in 7mm08, 1:10 24" barrel. Handed down from my dad, he traded a 50$ guitar amp for it back in the 70s. Pretty sweet little gun, if it could talk I'd love to hear the stories. Under the scope mount is a German swastika I don't know if it was used in service or not but that would be pretty cool if it was taken from a German by an ally soldier. Anyways, I digress, pleasure to meet you all hopefully I can learn from others on here with more experience!
Hello, TreyB7, welcome from Montana! This group of people here are so smart, they have actually learned to "dumb down" their responses to members questions so that even I can usually understand what they are saying!!! Seriously, this is a great place to learn the art of shooting, hand loading, hunting, and the whole outdoor experience. Oh, by the way, most of us up here call them "crawdads" and they are small; takes a wad of them to make make a meal!!! DT in MT

Welcome to the forum from Tennessee you've stumbled across possibly the best site for learning Long Range Hunting and shooting!