Noob from Louisiana

treyboy7

Hey y'all! New guy here also pretty new to long range hunting. Where I hunt in LA the furthest shot I have is about 120 yards🤣. Last year I went on a trip to wide open Nebraska with some buddies, needless to say I felt out of place. I did end up taking 2 nice bucks the first happened to be only 40 yards but got lucky on the 2nd, missed him at 375 but he came back out a few minutes later at, you guessed it, 120. That's about the furthest I've ever killed and I've taken plenty of deer and hogs in my life, gun and bow. We decided to make the Nebraska trip an annual thing so I guess I need to learn how to shoot far in case I don't get so lucky again. So here I am lol. The only gun I have for longer ranges is a rebuilt Mauser in 7mm08, 1:10 24" barrel. Handed down from my dad, he traded a 50$ guitar amp for it back in the 70s. Pretty sweet little gun, if it could talk I'd love to hear the stories. Under the scope mount is a German swastika I don't know if it was used in service or not but that would be pretty cool if it was taken from a German by an ally soldier. Anyways, I digress, pleasure to meet you all hopefully I can learn from others on here with more experience!

Last edited:
Welcome from Tennessee. Most of my deer are also fairly short range in the woods of Tennessee. The only way to get comfortable at long range is with practice. Understanding ballistics and shooting long range is much easier today as long as you spend the time to learn.

Hey y'all! New guy here also pretty new to long range hunting. Where I hunt in LA the furthest shot I have is about 120 yards🤣. Last year I went on a trip to wide open Nebraska with some buddies, needless to say I felt out of place. I did end up taking 2 nice bucks the first happened to be only 40 yards but got lucky on the 2nd, missed him at 375 but he came back out a few minutes later at, you guessed it, 120. That's about the furthest I've ever killed and I've taken plenty of deer and hogs in my life, gun and bow. We decided to make the Nebraska trip an annual thing so I guess I need to learn how to shoot far in case I don't get so lucky again. So here I am lol. The only gun I have for longer ranges is a rebuilt Mauser in 7mm08, 1:10 22" barrel. Handed down from my dad, he traded a 50$ guitar amp for it back in the 70s. Pretty sweet little gun, if it could talk I'd love to hear the stories. Under the scope mount is a German swastika I don't know if it was used in service or not but that would be pretty cool if it was taken from a German by an ally soldier. Anyways, I digress, pleasure to meet you all hopefully I can learn from others on here with more experience!

Welcome from North Central Wyoming…..to Long Range Hunting! I hope that you enjoy your time here, learn and share a lot!

I thoroughly understand your longest shot having lived it! I grew up in Zachary, spent many weeks at my grandparent's home in Evangeline Parish! Most of the time 50 yards was a long shot! 😁

Your Dad and I are probably about the same age……if so, he probably told you that there were almost no deer in Louisiana back then! Thanks to better game management and enforcement, it's much better now!

Again……Welcome! memtb

Last edited:
Welcome from North Central Wyoming…..to Long Range Hunting! I hope that you enjoy your time here, learn and share a lot!

I thoroughly understand your longest shot having lived it! I grew up in Zachary, spent many weeks at my grandparent's home in Evangeline Parish! Most of the time 50 yards was a long shot! 😁 memtb
Small world! I'm from BR and my hunting club is in Evangeline Parish, crooked creek/pine prairie area. Nice to meet you!

Welcome from North Carolina. By the way, I grew up in Baker, La., but left there a long time ago. I still go back about once a year to see family, get my fill of Cajun food and do a little turkey hunting.

Heck, there's more of us on here than "normal" people! 😁 I bet that most on here will mispronounce your last name! 😁 Your first name isn't "Richard" is it? 😂 memtb

Hey y'all! New guy here also pretty new to long range hunting. Where I hunt in LA the furthest shot I have is about 120 yards🤣. Last year I went on a trip to wide open Nebraska with some buddies, needless to say I felt out of place. I did end up taking 2 nice bucks the first happened to be only 40 yards but got lucky on the 2nd, missed him at 375 but he came back out a few minutes later at, you guessed it, 120. That's about the furthest I've ever killed and I've taken plenty of deer and hogs in my life, gun and bow. We decided to make the Nebraska trip an annual thing so I guess I need to learn how to shoot far in case I don't get so lucky again. So here I am lol. The only gun I have for longer ranges is a rebuilt Mauser in 7mm08, 1:10 24" barrel. Handed down from my dad, he traded a 50$ guitar amp for it back in the 70s. Pretty sweet little gun, if it could talk I'd love to hear the stories. Under the scope mount is a German swastika I don't know if it was used in service or not but that would be pretty cool if it was taken from a German by an ally soldier. Anyways, I digress, pleasure to meet you all hopefully I can learn from others on here with more experience!
Welcome