Luepold BDC turrent?

There was a thread about a year ago where I said something about the Kentons not being very waterproof and a couple of people posted methods they had used to try to make them that way. The Luepold looks to be a little more waterproof than the Kenton. (I have both types of knobs although neither are "BDCs")) but I would not let either one stay uncovered in a rain.

All Leupold scopes are water proof with or without the caps on. Mark 4's don't even have caps over the turrets. I use the Kenton dials on my VX-III LRT scope. I leave the cap off when I'm clicking but put the cap on when I'm done or in general hunting mode where the gun is set to a 300 yard zero. Kenton used to make the dials for Leupold until Leupold brought the capability in house for almost double the price. The Kenton is top flight and looks OEM in every way.

Hired gun

Just a question for my personal education.

Are you saying that there is waterproofing of the internal mechanisms so that even with the caps off and the turrets off, the scope would still be waterproof?

[ QUOTE ]
"... Mark 4's don't even have caps over the turrets."

[/ QUOTE ]

The MK4-M1s don't have caps, but the MK4-M3s DO have caps.

BB... yes, all Leupolds are waterproof without the caps.

I have scrubbed several of my Leupolds in the kitchen sink with hot water and dish detergent when I got back from hunts where they got dirty (covered with desert dust and grit)... or when the lenses got dirty.

I'm not married to a load yet, so I just used a skinny piece of paper over the top of my existin target turret, and wrote on it with a pencil and a line to line up with a line the corresponding number of clicks over. Then I just lined my zero up with the correct yardage on the paper (200 yds) and then ran a piece of scotch tape all the way around to tape it down and weatherproof the paper. Functionally, it's no different, just looks cheap as heck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Once I decide on the magic one, I might fork over the money for a custom one, but man, it's hard to argue with free.

BB,
Catshooter said it very well so I will answer with a simple, yes. The same seals that hold the pressurized nitrogen in, hold the water out.

I have never had to wash any of my own in the sink but I had to do it to a couple of friends scopes. They use those popular flip open type scope covers and everything just goes right past those. The lenses were so caked with crap I was afraid to rub on them until they soaked for a while and most of the grit was rinsed off of them. Then those lenses cleaned up like new. Make sure you remove the caps after submersion to let the water out. They are not always water tight. If the turret dials are removeable and they were dirty I would not hesitate to remove them and rinse that out too. I would not hit them with high pressure air. No harder than I can blow them out with my mouth. A few Q-tips and then let them air dry before reassembly.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.