Turrent adjustment

Greg Duerr

Are there any aftermarket turrents that could be installed on my Leupold 4.5x-14x Var-111? Ones that would be user friendly for a new longrange shooter?

Maybe you could answer this question..............Most scope have a .25 moa adjustment ................which is a 1/4 inch adjustment at 100 yards..............what would be the adjustment if you were to shoot at 200,300, or 400 assuming your rifle was sighted in for 100 yards. What would your Point of Impact move if the target was 400 yards away...............1/4 of an inch or 1inch.............??

Greg,
Stoney Point makes some aftermarket turrets but, in my opinion, they are not the best. I have one currently installed on a Leupold 6.5-20X40 and while it is effective enough, it has a "mushy" feel to it. Best bet is, after hunting season, send it to Leupold's Custom Shop and have them install target turrets on your scope.
One click equial 1/4" @ 100yds, 1/2" @ 200yds, 3/4" @ 300yds, 1" @ 400yds. That is, the POI will shift this much at the specified range, when the scope is moved one click.
A much broader way to look at is, don't focus on the individual "clicks", but think of the numbers on your turrets (i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.). If you move the elevation turret UP from 0 to 1, you have moved it 1 MOA (which is also four "clicks"). This will move your bullets POI UP four inches at 400yds. It will be 8" @ 800yds (one click equal 2" @ 800yds).
Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

gun)send to leupold with your load info grain bullet and they can make your a turret i have one with the cds dial it works sweet

My Leo V-III is 1/4 inch per hundred but marked 1/4moa, not the same as 1/4 moa but close. 1 moa is 1.047..." at 100 yds, 1" per hundred is as it sounds.

So, if you have 1/4 inch per hundred dials, dialing in on something 400 out there or so and you moved say 5 clicks up while looking at 400 yds, then 1.25*400/100 = 5 inches moved for new point of aim/ impact point.

MOA is a very simple system to use. 1 MOA = 1.047" per hundred yards. To get your head around the idea 1MOA = 1 inch per hundred yards. A one MOA correction moves your point of impact one inch at one hundred, 2 inches at 200, 3 inches at 300, 10 inches at 1000. A quarter minute click moves 2.5" at 1000 yards.

Your drop chart or ballistics program will provide an elevation correction for the ranged yardage and other conditions such as barometric pressure and incline. I'll give a few examples. We have a 100 yard zero. Our program will tell us the bullet drops nine inches, or 3 moa at three hundred yards. Simply turn the dial to 3, hold dead on, and squeeze. At five hundred yards our chart tells us we have 8 MOA, or 40 inches of drop. Dial to the 8 and squeeze.

The only challenge is learning the system. A few minutes study and a couple times turning the knobs is all it takes.

To be more "user friendly", leupold, Kenton industries, and others build drop compensation turrets. You should still learn how MOA works, as it's the foundation for most systems, and this knowledge will enable you to fine tune your shooting corrections.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.