Non-belted mag for 700yd elk- caliber help

okay I am going to be a unique voice in the lot.
I would look into the 338 Lapua mag 1:8" twist barrel, 338 RUM 1:8" twist barrel, 300 RUM 1:7" twist barrel, 375 Ruger 1:12" twist barrel,
If you use Bartlein barrels go with the R-5 rifling. I own an R-5 barrel on one of my 270's I bought used. If you have a chance to shoot an R-5 rifled barrel I suggest you jump at it.
With Krieger they have a bit more limited in certain diameters and more on others.
They also offer R-5 Rifling in some of their barrels

What load pushes a 175 to 2975? The nosler book shows a 175 accubonds lr at a max of 2815 from a 26 inch barrel. What are you doing to get the extra 160 fps?
Shep

Is that the case used for RUMs?
Yep, essentially the 300RUM necked up to 338, still have that rifle but rarely use it. Too many issues with a tight chamber, tight chamber neck and shorter than ideal throat. Had to run a Shawn Carlock +P reamer in to help with the issues.
Still get the odd pressure excursion due to carbon rings. RE33 doesn't help much either.

The 338-416 IMP 35° is much easier to load for.

Cheers.

What load pushes a 175 to 2975? The nosler book shows a 175 accubonds lr at a max of 2815 from a 26 inch barrel. What are you doing to get the extra 160 fps?
Shep
I'm pretty sure your referring to Lance's # on his 280AI. Its RL23.
I believe a 100% that's what hes getting, I got 3070 with a 162 in a 24" tube and 1 ragged hole at 100 with RL23.

Thanks I'm going to try some rl23 in mine and see what it does. Nosler shows 55.5 grains at 2764 how much does it take to hit 2975?
Shep

Go with that 280AI - Manners Thumbhole Stock - and really good Glass — then lots of shooting —. AND if things go Terribly Wrong in your Travels - you can shoot 280 Rem. Factory Ammo in that AI in a pinch - (just not as long of distance) BUT your Hunt won't B Toast
Jus Sayin'

Shep
Yes, as others have stated, I use RL23 in my 26" 1:9" Proof barrel. I have shot it over my Labradar numerous times over the last couple years, and have checked drops out to 1500+ several times, and everything adds up to 2975fps on the dot. With phenomenal accuracy to boot.

RL23 is like black magic. I shoot the 160 TMK over 2.3gr MORE H1000 @ 2991fps. I have seen similar results in numerous cartridges as well. You should try it. I think for a 50-60gr case capacity cartridge, it is one of the best powders out there. I use it in several rifles pushing heavy for caliber bullets.

I shoot the 168 bergers with retumbo 64 grains. I only get 2900 from a 26 inch barrel. It's very accurate but I have not seen the speeds you guys are getting. I've built about a dozen of them for clients and myself and I must be the one who gets all the slow barrels.
Shep

I have not yet tried rl23 in any of them. Rl26 gets better speed but I haven't found the accuracy with it.
Shep
When I tried 26 speed was there but not accuracy, like Lance said 23 is like black magic in the 280AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.