Caliber for medium range Elk

I had exactly the same conundrum. I finally chose the 280ai. I think this is the most snort you can get on a standard long action without doing a wildcat. I did a short 22" Proof sendero light on a Win model 70 and put it in a Boyd's stock. I did put a small PK on mine. The less recoil the better. I see no reason to put up with it. That's just me though. This is light and compact enough to be very handy and packable yet still heavy enough to shoot well out to 700y. My barrel is 8" twist so I could run heavier bullets if I wanted to, but I have chosen to run the 143g Hammer Hunter at 3130 fps. This gives me good point blank range capability and still enough poop for a 700y elk shot.

cant tell you what to do, just what i know. A 140 elite, out of a 6.5-.284 will flatten an elk in 3 steps at 300 yards when put into the ribs. 6x6 bull was very unaware of me but didn't stand a chance. I am building a .284 throated a bit long to try next. but the 6.5 will sure do the work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.