No more vectronix terrapin, now what?

usagi

So vectronix has discontinued the terrapin. The last ones available were sold earlier in the year.

What now? Is the Laser Technology TruPulse 360R (aka Gunwerks G7 BR2) the only game in town?

Write the check and buy the more expensive vectronix. Or you could look at newcon if you want a good 2000 yard range finder look the 4000 yd model.

The hunt is on!!!

Vectronix had the two optimum units. The Terrapin being the least expensive of the two.

For my needs I'll settle for my Leica 1600 until someone out there matches the distance and beam divergence of the Vectronix units.

I know were there are two high end Vectronix units gathering dust. Do you think I can talk the owners out of either one of them. Heck no!!!!! These guys think 400 yards is a long shot. Well, in fact, it is for them.....

Bummer!

I think the PLRF10/10C are the next in line. They are considerably more expensive than the terrapin, but also have much more capabilities.

I have used the g7 and the terrapin alot and out to ranges 2000 and beyond..where the g7 lacks the terrapin picks up...and that is in elr ranging. If your looking at hunting distances and understand how to use the g7 effectively it is a very effective tool. If you want to effectively range targets beyond 1400 yards the terrapin is in a league of its own. We have no pony in either race but that's been our experience for what it's worth.

Jordan@406

I own both the G7 and the Terrapin and have brought them both out for several hunting and long range excursions. As has been stated by other posters, I agree that the Terrapin comes into it's own when distances begin to exceed 1200-1400 yards, and I want to have some fun shooting out to a mike. For my long range hunting which rarely exceeds 1100 yards and is predominately 500-1000 yards, I use the G7. Now having shot a couple of dozen game animals within this range window, I am fully confident of the G7's capabilities, and it's substantially faster than manually measuring and entering data in to calculator. I have shot at least a half dozen good animals that i probably would not like have taken without this speed advantage, most all whitetails. My Terrapin is now also a dust collector when long range hunting is my purpose. I won't part with it because I do like playing at ELR where the Terrapin comes into it's own.

for up to 800 yards, my leupold rx-1200tbr works great. the optics are great and the illuminated display is wonderful. form factor is fantastic, absolutely pocket size.

for longer ranges than that, my newcon readily ranges up to 1700, and i have had readings in ideal conditions up to 2200. not bad for $727.

still a wanting something that can really reach out to 2k, reliably, outside of perfect conditions.

Where is the G7 BR2 falling short for your requirements?

Your G7 BR2 is as good as it gets for actually taking game.

I'm spot on with greyfox.

However, for now I'll "settle for" what I have for my style of hunting. A Leica 1600. Still have to use a computer calc but again I'll "settle" for that.

When the G7 BRx.x (hint) can reach to the distances my 375 AM can shoot I'll be all over it.

Note: that my intent is to "push ya a bit" not to disparage.

Also, I'm kind of tired of "settling for".:rolleyes:

I've been very happy with my Bushnell ARC 1 Mile 10 X 42 binoculars for fast and trouble free range finding. And the built-in ballistic and angle information technology is nice to have but ya gotta check it at the range to be sure you have entered the correct ballistic group.

OK, they have decent glass but not the best glass. But in all other respects they work well under adverse conditions like foreground brush and light rain. In decent weather they will range to 1,000 meters on "semi-reflective" objects. I have ranged to 1,210 meters on dark, granite boulders which ain't exactly reflective.

And I checked my Bushnell 1 Mile LRF binos alongside a surveyor's laser transit and found it to be exact to the meter. "Notta too bad", as Father Guido Sarducci used to say on SNL.

How in the world does vectronix keep the beam so tight. I have ranged green leafy trees with it repeatably at 2780 yards. But where I think it excels is not so much ranging power like that, but the fact that at closer ranges, say inside 1500 you can reliably range very small targets. Being able to range a 1/2 moa target and actually get the target, and not the background, is awesome. I found my hit percentage on moa or less targets went up considerably with the 308 because with my previous rangefinder I was actually getting some background or foreground. On less than moa targets 10 yards range ambiguity can make a big difference with a lower performance round like the 308. This is true for any round once you get beyond 1000.

Bottom line, with the terrapin if you can see it you can range it reliably if the unit is held still enough. If used from a tripod I think it will reliably range anything that can be engaged with small arms fire.

The only thing it lacks is a doubler or an option for more mag. I wish it were a 10x instead of 5.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.