vectronix rangefinder Terrapin

Owning both a recently purchased Terrapin and owning a G7 BR2 for a full season, I have had an opportunity to work with both. I also have a Leica Geovid, but it's no comparison to either unit. The narrow beam divergence on the Terrapin is very noticeable, and the ability to get readings at distances on difficult targets, excellent. I've never used a rangefinder as good as this one. Having said that, for 1000 yards or less, there have been very few cases where I had difficulty getting a reading with the G7, and could with the Terrapin. They appeared to be low probability shots anyway. For my typical hunting at 1000 yards or less, I believe I'm better served with the capacities of the G7, taking advantage of instant dopes that are corrected for conditions with excellent accuracy and time savings. For longer range work, the Terrapin's capabilities make it a better choice. I'll use the G7 with my 6.5x284, and the Terrapin with my 338 Lapua when I'm shooting at extended ranges, and feel confident of having the best set up for each application. If I could only choose one, tough call but I'd probably go with the G7 since most all my high probability hunting shots are under 1000 yards. If the Terrapin had the computing capabilities of the G7 it would be a masterpiece, but likely cost a fortune! IMHO.

Sounds like you're pretty familiar with the grid in PA.

This is a shot, no pun intended, over RT322.

Yup, origianlly a PA boy. Family is from near Bethlehem, Center Valley. Went to college South of Pittsburgh, so drove the 78 - Turnpike route across state many times during those years. Is 322 an interstate? My sister lives down in that country. New Holland. She married a Chapin.

Owning both a recently purchased Terrapin and owning a G7 BR2 for a full season, I have had an opportunity to work with both. The narrow beam divergence on the Terrapin is very noticeable, and the ability to get readings at distances on difficult targets, excellent. I've never used a rangefinder as good as this one. Having said that, for 1000 yards or less, there have been very few cases where I had difficulty getting a reading with the G7, and could with the Terrapin. .

I am glad you have had the opertunity to see for yourself side by side. That is not something many will be able to do. That's why I feel it is important us that do report the results.

After comparing of the PLRF10 and the G7 side by side, I agree with your above statements.

Thanks
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.