No more vectronix terrapin, now what?

But where I think it excels is not so much ranging power like that, but the fact that at closer ranges, say inside 1500 you can reliably range very small targets. Being able to range a 1/2 moa target and actually get the target, and not the background, is awesome. I found my hit percentage on moa or less targets went up considerably with the 308 because with my previous rangefinder I was actually getting some background or foreground. On less than moa targets 10 yards range ambiguity can make a big difference with a lower performance round like the 308. This is true for any round once you get beyond 1000.

Right on!! And I predict more will learn this as time goes on.

Jeff

Vectronix has them--and more--they have at least two pair. So I saw two or three years ago and somewhere I printed the info off their website. If I can relocate that or access their website I'll post.

One of them ranged to 23,000 yards if I remember right. I don't know, but I suspect they'll go for about a dollar a yard.

I'd take a set of binos with the vectronics guts!!

I would too :D However I may be wrong but I think the swaro EL range binos come close with a Beam divergence of 1.5X0.5 MRAD where the vectronix had 0.3X1.5 MRAD (PLFR 10C Model) although the max range is limited with the swaros. I have a friend who owns the Swaro EL ranges and in the next few weeks I will be testing these out and see if i want to order one for myself or just keep my 1600B. The nice thing I like with the swaros is two tools combined into one.

Indeed Vectronix did--at least as of 12/2011--have binocular range finders. They are/were 7x42, invisible to laser detection, and 6km and 25km ranging capability. Both have/had NV attach-ability. The 6km has an accuracy variable of +/- of 2m-5m; the 25km is +/- 5m. This information feeds the imagination as to what they may go for if they still make them and are available outside military/naval clientele.

I'm sure happy with my Terrapin.

How in the world does vectronix keep the beam so tight. I have ranged green leafy trees with it repeatably at 2780 yards. But where I think it excels is not so much ranging power like that, but the fact that at closer ranges, say inside 1500 you can reliably range very small targets. Being able to range a 1/2 moa target and actually get the target, and not the background, is awesome. I found my hit percentage on moa or less targets went up considerably with the 308 because with my previous rangefinder I was actually getting some background or foreground. On less than moa targets 10 yards range ambiguity can make a big difference with a lower performance round like the 308. This is true for any round once you get beyond 1000.

Bottom line, with the terrapin if you can see it you can range it reliably if the unit is held still enough. If used from a tripod I think it will reliably range anything that can be engaged with small arms fire.

The only thing it lacks is a doubler or an option for more mag. I wish it were a 10x instead of 5.
Try a search on here and you will see where Shawn Carlock set up a doubler for his. It was a swaro and I plan on maybe doing that for mine but so far I made a dual mnt for that and my leo spotter which compact size work for my and have had no problem ranging to 2000. And I am mainly interested for hunting in the 12-1400 range

Attachments

• P2150037.jpg
    P2150037.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 77
And I am mainly interested for hunting in the 12-1400 range

Yo dude!!!

What's the story on that tripod rest shooting thinger??

Looks a bit more than interesting.

Maybe ya otta start a thread explaining build details or pm me.

Me thinks a 375 AM would look good on top of it....or any of my other rigs.

Yo dude!!!

What's the story on that tripod rest shooting thinger??

Looks a bit more than interesting.

Maybe ya otta start a thread explaining build details or pm me.

Me thinks a 375 AM would look good on top of it....or any of my other rigs.
Roy thats a large camera type tripod,tower is spring loaded,legs all adjust,and it has gear drive tilt.Bought on e bay like $100, then I had a old rest I moded to fit.Like for antelope or rig type hunt, was also nice when my son was younger to help with shooting.

Say, is that a bear hide hanging behind your cannon?
We dont have the bears like you do but I use to hit hard around here when younger, I still get out but look for 6 ft type bear which is big for here.You guys lucky and get the 7 Plus. Friend of mine arrowed one long time back on POW that at time was #3 pope for a bit, I looked at that bear nose like a big brick, Those bears are honestly as big as are average size grizz,but we do get some grizz that go 600-800 #

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.