nikon monarch 3,5,7 tracking ?

jotrot

looking for personal feed back on their tracking and turrets, I know they are lacking adjustment, but for my purpose I can get by.

thanks

Not sure what you mean by lacking adjustment on Nikon's MONARCH 3-5 and 7 Series of scopes? I have used all of them except the new MONARCH 7 30mm tube and I have never had any issues with tracking or turret adjustment's when sighting in.I do freelance PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon so the scope's I use get a lifetime of shooting sometimes in one day. I have never had an optic fail and I have even seen rifle and scope dropped tot he ground and maintain zero. In case you were not aware Nikon has a PROMO going on right now on some of their higher magnification scopes that can save you domr decent $. Check out some of LRH Sponsor's to see if any can help you out. Check out Nikon's No Fault Policy to, speaks for itself.
If you choose a BDC reticle scope and have any question's using it and Nikon's Spot On Program drop me a note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IweRfw4vMEY

morning, I own 7 Monarch Nikon Scopes. calibers, 177cal, pellet to 340 weatherby.

I had a problem with one. sent the scope back to Nikon, they sent me a new

scope. the new Monarch 7 is the thing for very long range shooting. $800 plus

price tag. depending on ur type of shooting. for the money u can not

go wrong. go to Nikon.com. see the video's and utube.lightbulbgun)

there was a scope made by Shepard. u sent ur rifle to the company

mount the scope and send back to the owner. the scope was programmed

to that particular weapon.

Great to hear you were taken care of quickly and correctly by Nikon CS.
I can't wait to get my hands on the new MONARCH 7. I'm putting it on a .257 WbyMag I have. Should not be fun for coyotes.

morning, I own 7 Monarch Nikon Scopes. calibers, 177cal, pellet to 340 weatherby.

I had a problem with one. sent the scope back to Nikon, they sent me a new

scope. the new Monarch 7 is the thing for very long range shooting. $800 plus

price tag. depending on ur type of shooting. for the money u can not

go wrong. go to Nikon.com. see the video's and utube.lightbulbgun)

there was a scope made by Shepard. u sent ur rifle to the company

mount the scope and send back to the owner. the scope was programmed

to that particular weapon.

I've got a Nikon Monarch I need to send in. The turret adjustment has a cross coupling effect. In other words when I adjust elevation, the windage direction moves a little.

Be aware that from Monarch 3 onward, if you pull up on the turret knob it disengages from the mechanism and just like that you can lose your zero... I didn't like that "feature" which cant be disabled, so I bought Vortex scopes instead and have not regretted it. Better reticle choices and choice of SFP or FFP reticle. Having said that, I do like my 4-16x50 Monarch 2, except for the reticle.

West, When you pull up on the tirret that is Nikon's way to set the turret to zero,then you push it down on 100 yards if that is your zero. When you pull the turret up it freespins and does not change your zero. So if the turret is up, just turn it to 100 and push it down, no changes will be be made your POI. Nikon has just come out with a number of new scope's, FFP and multiple 30mm tube's that will give you all the adjustment you need for longrange shooting.

Shtr, if you need help sending in your scope,drop me a note.

I think I grasped the intention of that feature. The problem is that it can happen inadvertently in the field, and if that happens you are SOL. The fact that one cannot disable this feature makes it a liability. Vortex uses set screws to hold the knob onto the shaft and the Monarch 2 used splines.

I don't hear anyone complaining about the procedure to zero the turret. But you sure will hear a lot of complaints the first time someone inadvertently finds the knob spinning and has no idea what value it was last set to. The first time it happens on any hunt that matters, is the time the scope will be taken off the rifle, never to return. This was a very very bad design decision by Nikon for any hunting or tactical scope. For a dedicated target scope it would be irrelevant.

I understand what you are saying and I have honestly never heard of that happening to even one person. The turret is not easy to pull up for one and 2, I think we all know what we zero our rifle at. I will pass along your concern,W.

Bart, if all we ever did was zero our rifle, we would not need a graduated turret knob, would we ? The reason we zero the knob is so that we can dial a particular elevation value. What elevation value ? Well, it depends. Zero up to 200 yards. 2.25moa for 300 yards. 6.75 at 500 etc etc. The value I last used depends on what shot I thought I was going to take. There is no need to constantly reset it to 0 since I can adjust it every time the need arises.

Thus, when in the field, it is unlikely that my turret is always going to be on zero. Most likely I would have set it up for the range I thought was of interest and any wind correction I might need before I left my vehicle in the pitch dark to start making my way towards my spot. If I need to, I will correct it in daylight, but usually I am shooting coyotes right as the sky starts to lighten, before the sun rises. Its rather difficult making a turret adjustment under those circumstances and one dare not use any light for fear of being busted.

Do you see the problem that can occur with a turret that can be upset by contact with brush etc ? I have had turrets get rotated in the past, but I was able to recognise that they had moved and correct before I needed to shoot. Of course that was not in the pitch dark.

I do understand what you are saying, I am in the habit of always glancing at my turret's to make sure they are on zero before firing a round. The nice thing if they are inadvertently turned I can turn them back to zero and be set.

Here is a turret pic showing the 0 setting. In this case it is 100 yards. If the knob somehow got turned walking through heavy cover with the rifle on my back I can glance and see it is off zero and turn it accordingly.

IMG_1333-1.jpg

Regarding the Nikon warranty, a friend of mine was on a hunt where his gear was sent to the camp on pack mules. The pack train met a bear on the trail and the mule carrying his rifle slid off the trail and rolled down the mountain a ways. When his rifle arrived at camp, there as a crease in the tube. He assumed his hunt was over, but went to check his zero anyway. The scope was still on zero and functioned properly. He had a successful hunt. When he got home, he called Nikon, explained the events and asked to have his scope repaired. He was told to send the scope to the service facility. He expected to pay for the repairs. About a week or so later he received a new scope under their lifetime warranty. After that experience, he uses nothing but Nikon.

Dennis

ds, Thank you for the post on Nikon's CS. I will pass that along to some of the Exec's at Nikon Sport Optic's. Nikon really does work hard to stand behind their product's and as consumer'swe all know that that means a lot.
Being a freelance guy for them whenever I run across someone or someone finds me and asks for CS I always to to see their problem through to satisfaction. It's not part of my job by any means but if it was my problem I would want whatever extra help I could get.

Do the nikons have a zero stop feature. If you dial up for a shot and you're on the 2nd or 3rd revolution of the turret and forget to zero it after the shot is there a marking on the turret to tell you what revolution you are on so you know where zero is. This happened to me with my current scope (not Nikon). Luckily it was just target practice and not an animal of a lifetime. Also is the tracking on them accurate.
I have a Nikon on my rugger 1022 and really like it. Not to mention the price of Nikon is a huge selling feature for me. but for the long range scopes that I have been searching In the Nikon line up, they seems to be very vague when describing them. They just seem to be missing some feature that I woul like. Zero stop is one of them as well as exposed elevation and windage turrets and a simple moa style reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.