Nikon monarch

hicap223

Anyone have any experience with the Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x40 with the illuminated mildot reticle or somthing close to it. Am looking for a new scope for my Rem VS in .308 and am considering this or a Leupold 4.5-14x50 illuminated mildot reticle. Any thoughts?

Ian M

I have had a couple of illuminated Nikon scopes for some time now, can describe the system for you. Very simply this is the only illumination system that offers a choice of two colors, either red or green in various intensities ( I think). Simply crank a dial on top of the eyepiece, one way your get reds the other way you get greens. Have the new one with mildots, works bang-on at 12x. The newest ones also have an adjustable (focusing European-style) eyepiece plus paralax adj. on the objective. There are times when green shows up better than red and vice-versa.

The scope has 1/8 minute adjustments so it will poop out on you if you do not use sloped bases - other than that it is a beautiful scope, sharp and crisp, bright and good adjustment turrets. Batgtery fits inside the illumination dial.

Have not used the Leupold illuminated, perhaps someone else here has.
Good luck buying your new scope.
ian

Brent

Interesting. I have the Nikon 4-12x40 on a 308win, not illuminated but just wanted to add that it's very clear and the only complaint is the paralax free location doesn't match the yardage even close on the objective. At 300yds it has to be set at nearly 1000yds and at anything farther out it needs to be set to infinity. At 700yds some, just a little, paralax is creeping back in as well.

Ian M

Brent,
Nikon plans on shipping their new tactical-LR scopes in August - they are going to be interesting for the shooting we do. No parallax problems as they have a side turret for that. Quite a bit more money than the Monarchs but way more scope.
ian

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce