nightforce vs vortex

You really should't be torquing any scope rings tighter than 16in/lbs.

If you have trouble with slippage add a third ring.

Nightforce recommends 25 inch pounds. I had problems with vortex due to over tightening but 15 inch pounds is not even tight. In fact I had to add lock tight to the rings to get them to stay tight at 15 inch pounds. I sold the vortex and bought night force.

It never ceases to amaze me when people are comparing optics to each other they very rarely compare apples to apples

The pst and shv would be comparable

Nxs and gen 1 razors

Beast or atac and gen 2

Cross comparison doesn't do any of the above optics justice..
no one makes a 1000 doller scope that compares with 2000 simple...we own and use both I prefer vortex for reticle design, function and customer service reasons but that's my preference .

I was having trouble with slippage on one of my Zeiss scopes using weaver rings. All problems were solved after lapping the scope rings.

Well not only was i compelled to buy my first torque driver due to this scope but if you guessed i also bought a lapping tool set youd be correct on that also.
Since, ive checked the rings on all my scopes just to proove i did indeed waste my money. Maybe the torque driver is innacurate, im surprised that hasent been mentioned. lol

Nightforce recommends 25 inch pounds. I had problems with vortex due to over tightening but 15 inch pounds is not even tight. In fact I had to add lock tight to the rings to get them to stay tight at 15 inch pounds. I sold the vortex and bought night force.

Would you mind checking to see if the guys interested in another one? lol

Well you know what, that might be true also at least on some scopes. Its obviously true on
these scopes if you expect the adjustments to function. My Nightforce rings have 4
screws on each cap and theres only 2 rings holding the scope on a gun with a
cartridge im using 137gr of powder in. I watched as Bruce Baer installed that scope
and he just tightened them down with a plain old screwdriver. When i questioned him
about why we were having the issues we are with the Vortex, his answer was
(because the scopes junk compared to a Nightforce.)
But then he's always been a very tactfull guy.
It's not about the scope it's about breaking screws off.

I have been watching this thread an hoping another hi jacker would inject their question.....nothing! So here it goes, what about the Nightforce SHV against said vortex scope?
These are more economically matched.
Ready set go!
I've had two vortex vipers and one two HS models.

Key word is "had".

I won't be buying any more.

In a PILE of Vortex and Nightforce installs I've never seen one move, I use 15 in lbs as my torque, start with a quality rail base epoxied to the action and usually use Nightforce rings.
Never seen a Vortex warranty used in dozens of scopes, my personally HS LR looks like it was drug behind a truck, it's solid as a rock with thousands of rounds from heavy hitters under it, got nothing to complain about with Vortex, it's treated me and a lot of customers very well.
I've measure the tracking on both Vortex and NF and I have not found one better than the other, they both run about the same error so far, maybe one day I'll set one up that doesn't but not so far.

I personally would put a Nightforce on everything all the time but then a budget comes into play, the Vortex PST line has been a solid option, I'm going to give the SHV a run but I really don't like being without zero stops and I don't really like a capped elevation turret but being NF it's worthy of getting a go!! I really like being able to zero stop the windage turrets on the Vortex, in valuable if your windage is and exposed turret!!

You have a lathe. I made aluminum zero stops/shims for my non-ZS Nightforce scopes in about 5-10 minutes. Cut a ring and install it under the turrets. It doesn't need to be perfect just so it won't go down to the next zero on the dial. Measure from the tube to the bottom of the turret and subtract about .005".

I haven't looked through a SHV but if a NXS has better glass I'd buy a used non-ZS and non-HS NXS in a heartbeat. I've bought a couple used 5.5x22 NXS's for about what a new SHV 5x20 scope runs. I like the more positive clicks on the non-HS scopes better anyway and the zero stops are a non-issue.

The SHV line DOES have zero stop. It comes standard on the 5-20x56 models. You only jave to pay extra for zero stop on the NXS line.

And if you don't like the capped turrets, just take the caps off and leave them off. Still waterproof without the caps. That goes for most any scope with capped turrets.

The SHV line DOES have zero stop. It comes standard on the 5-20x56 models. You only jave to pay extra for zero stop on the NXS line.

And if you don't like the capped turrets, just take the caps off and leave them off. Still waterproof without the caps. That goes for most any scope with capped turrets.

One scope in the line has a zero stop not the entire family, it was established in another review thread that you need to have the turret caps on to maintain water proof, its even in the ops manual for the SHV. Again huge NF fan but I won't run an optic based on name alone, I'm hoping the SHV family is awesome cause I'll be scoping out the rest of my personal stuff with them this year to put them to the test!

hello everyone I'm looking into getting my new scope for my .300 win mag I'm throwing around the idea of the nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 or the vortex viper HS LR 6-24x50FFP any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

There is an article you might find interesting called "what the pros use" and it is a summary of whAt equipment the pros Re shooting at the PRS Finals.

You should read this years article. In the PRS, one Nightforce made it into the top 40 and I don't think there were any in the top 20. The top competitors were using Schmidt and Bender and Vortex Razor HD Gen II nearly exclusively.

To be more precise about some of the previous comments, comparing a Vortex Viper HS to a NF NXS is not a good comparison. They are designed to meet very different needs.

Even a Vortex Viper PST is a closer comparison. I shoot one of these and performance is absolutely great. I am looking for a used NXS to put on my next build so that I can know what I am missing, if anything.

And FYI, look up the scope testing article that is a sticky on the optics forum. Some of the vortex tested better than NF. But individual results will vary.

And FYI, look up the scope testing article that is a sticky on the optics forum. Some of the vortex tested better than NF. But individual results will vary.

Can you post a link to this. I didn't see it under the optic section. I would be interested to read it.

Thanks

There is an article you might find interesting called "what the pros use" and it is a summary of whAt equipment the pros Re shooting at the PRS Finals.

You should read this years article. In the PRS, one Nightforce made it into the top 40 and I don't think there were any in the top 20. The top competitors were using Schmidt and Bender and Vortex Razor HD Gen II nearly exclusively.

To be more precise about some of the previous comments, comparing a Vortex Viper HS to a NF NXS is not a good comparison. They are designed to meet very different needs.

Even a Vortex Viper PST is a closer comparison. I shoot one of these and performance is absolutely great. I am looking for a used NXS to put on my next build so that I can know what I am missing, if anything.

Best Rifle Scope – What The Pros Use 2013 | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.