nightforce vs vortex

Re: nightforce NXS Riflescope 5.5-22x56 vs Swarovski Z5 Riflescope

I am working on getting my Rem 300 RUM complete. Now I have to decide on the scope. I have a Swarovski Z5 Riflescope but have been looking at the Nightforce NXS scope. Which scope is better for long distance shooting.

I guess that depends on your definition of Long Range. If 1K or out then the NF. Otherwise, use the Z5 especially if it is primarily for hunting at REALITIC ranges.

Another question to ask is ffp or sfp and reticle design
you get into the ffp nightforce your talking some serious coin and to add the horus reticle it's more yet.

Make sure your comparing apples to apples

Jordan@406

A buddy that I shoot with has a NF, worst glass for money I've ever seen. I don't doubt for a second that they're bulletproof and maybe he got a lemon but after shooting through my PST he went out and bought a Vortex. Great glass, better reticles IMO.

A buddy that I shoot with has a NF, worst glass for money I've ever seen. I don't doubt for a second that they're bulletproof and maybe he got a lemon but after shooting through my PST he went out and bought a Vortex. Great glass, better reticles IMO.

I've never heard anyone say that before what model nf was he running?

Ive looked through both of these scopes side by side and this is not what i saw. Your buddies scope has an issue.

8-32 benchrest. I knew that would ruffle feathers here but its the truth. I've looked through a number of NF scopes, br and nxs and I really don't like their glass. I'll get flamed for this but here is my take on the NF fetish:

NF makes a great scope, they are very tough and dependable.

They are not however, the be all end all of optics.

Their glass is mediocre at best, a number of companies (yes even some that aren't as expensive) have better optics.

Their reticle selection is sub par.

So why are they so popular?

Crowd mentality. If its more expensive its better, has to be!

If you are deployed in a combat theater than a NF could very well be a great choice. They are tough, repeatable and can evidently take a bullet and keep functioning, all very important attributes when your targets shoot back.

How many of us stateside are in that situation? Yes hunting in the back country can be a little rough but honestly how many of us throw/drop our rifles down a ravine before carrying on with our planned hunt?

We like to think that if x amount of F-Class or other shooters are using a NF than by God we need one too! Ok, go buy one, shoot it well and be happy.

I too disregarded Vortex and others until I did an actual back to back comparison and saw a marked advantage in them over the NFs. Zeiss and Swarovski come to mind.

I'm not anti NF, I have just come to understand that there are other available options that may fit certain applications better than what they are offering.

For those that feel that they HAVE to run a NF, great choice, you will be well served.

For those that look at more than a name brand- lots of options that may be a better fit for what you;re doing.

The benchrest line from nf has very good glass. I used one for years. Even after i opted for the nxs i still feel the benchrest had a better view and less parallax.

I completely disagree with your opinion.

Don't doubt that for a second, and I imagine lots of folks, especially on this board would agree with you.

Like I said, there is a mob mentality and "more is better" approach to optics that leads lots of folks into buying NF scopes when a different application would have worked as well/better.

Will you ever convince those ppl that a different optic could have served their needs every bit as well/better? Of course not! They HAD to have a NF because it is THE optic! Anyone who is serious about anything HAS to be using a NF, right? duh?!

They make a great scope as I've said. The best ever no matter what? Not so much.

Alrighty then... I have 2 NF scopes and 2 Vortex Scopes... 2 NXS and 2 Vipers. I consider the Vortex scopes to have very good glass and I consider the NXS scopes to have excellent glass.

OK, lets put it into terms where the rubber meets the road. With my 5.5-22 NXS I can make out 25 cal bullet holes on a target @ 427 yds when there is no mirage. With the Vortex I can make out bullet holes at 212 yds... this is at the Logan range near Three Forks Montana.

In the field, with the 5.5-22 NXS I can zero in on a softball size rock at 1K on 5.5 power. And in dusk light on 22x power, I can make out my target (1" diameter bullseye) although I can not make out bullet holes.

Not sure what matrri's purpose here is, but it sounds like a lot of psycho babble to me

The thread is entitled "nightforce vs vortex" I'm just giving my opinion.

Lots of folks won't agree with it, some will.

The thread is entitled "nightforce vs vortex" I'm just giving my opinion.

Lots of folks won't agree with it, some will.

I don't see a lot of folks agreeing with that at all. The Only Vortex that compares with an NXS is a Razor and I have never looked through a Razor but doubt a Razor is as rugged as an NXS.

Now there may be some better glass out there than an NXS, such as S&B but you are going to pay more for it. In that case if you want a better comparison then jump up to an ATACR which has better glass than the NXS.

For a rugged high quality field scope nothing beats an NXS... especially for the $$$. And I'll be saving up for an ATACR or two as well. I had the privilege of sighting and shooting through one of those a while back and they are awesome.

Also, in the 6 years I have had my 5.5-22 I have fell on it with full body weight twice. Once while hunting on a mountain side with a foot of fresh powder and tripped over a covered sage branch that sent me down hard on it. The other time while walking down a steep FS road with rifle strapped to my back... stepped on some ice and feet went up and my back side down and I mean down hard right on the scope on a frozen rocky road. It still functions flawlessly. I have my doubts that any Vortex would hold up to that.

There is no comparison between a Viper and an NXS and I don't think you have actually compared them.

I'm really happy that you like your NF, as I said before they are great scopes.

The ones I've looked through must have been the few bad ones that slipped past qc.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.