nightforce vs vortex

hello everyone I'm looking into getting my new scope for my .300 win mag I'm throwing around the idea of the nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 or the vortex viper HS LR 6-24x50FFP any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

As stated before, no comparison. If you can afford the NF, go for it.

After switching from Leupold to Vortex, I would say the HS LR is a great scope if you choose it.

Is your rifle bone stock or built up for LR shooting?

The main issue weve had with the viper scope is slippage due to ring torque requirments when using heavy recoiling guns. Not an issue with Nightforce or Leupold either.
Is this an issue with the razor line also?

Don't own either but that may change soon. Currently using Zeiss but have heard that both NF and Vortex are fine scopes. I have also heard that the glass for both NF and Vortex comes from the same factory in Japan. Is this true?

That's a ring issue not a scope issue

Your correct it is a ring issue. But Vortex scopes reccomends 15 inch pounds of torque
in order for the knobs to function properly. That information coming to me directly
from a factory rep when i complained about adjustment issues. The scope happens
to be installed on a 338x378 rifle. So far weve gone thru 2 sets of rings the first of which had 6 screws holding each cap in place. It also wouldnt allow for 1200 yds
of elevation adjustment even with a 20 minit base with that cartridge. Which would be the main reason most people would choose those type cartridges.
The most positive things ive heard about Vortex is great features, clear optics,
great price, and great warrenty. All of that might well be true but at least for me, the
most important feature is how it works. For me it dosent work and Nightforces do.
And for that matter so does Leupold.

Don't own either but that may change soon. Currently using Zeiss but have heard that both NF and Vortex are fine scopes. I have also heard that the glass for both NF and Vortex comes from the same factory in Japan. Is this true?

Coatings and surface treatment are what is gonna set most high end scopes apart. Japanese ED glass is used by many top of the line US optic manufacturers.

Your correct it is a ring issue. But Vortex scopes reccomends 15 inch pounds of torque
in order for the knobs to function properly. That information coming to me directly
from a factory rep when i complained about adjustment issues. The scope happens
to be installed on a 338x378 rifle. So far weve gone thru 2 sets of rings the first of which had 6 screws holding each cap in place. It also wouldnt allow for 1200 yds
of elevation adjustment even with a 20 minit base with that cartridge. Which would be the main reason most people would choose those type cartridges.
The most positive things ive heard about Vortex is great features, clear optics,
great price, and great warrenty. All of that might well be true but at least for me, the
most important feature is how it works. For me it dosent work and Nightforces do.
And for that matter so does Leupold.
You really should't be torquing any scope rings tighter than 16in/lbs.

If you have trouble with slippage add a third ring.

You really should't be torquing any scope rings tighter than 16in/lbs.

If you have trouble with slippage add a third ring.

Well you know what, that might be true also at least on some scopes. Its obviously true on
these scopes if you expect the adjustments to function. My Nightforce rings have 4
screws on each cap and theres only 2 rings holding the scope on a gun with a
cartridge im using 137gr of powder in. I watched as Bruce Baer installed that scope
and he just tightened them down with a plain old screwdriver. When i questioned him
about why we were having the issues we are with the Vortex, his answer was
(because the scopes junk compared to a Nightforce.)
But then he's always been a very tactfull guy.

I have been watching this thread an hoping another hi jacker would inject their question.....nothing! So here it goes, what about the Nightforce SHV against said vortex scope?
These are more economically matched.
Ready set go!

I agree. Really no comparison. NightForce all the way. If you want to save some money and have a good solid scope that holds zero well and adjusts where it's supposed to, the Vortex is fine. But if you want phenomenal optics at longer distances and low light with out every questioning the accuracy of a scope adjustment you make, then spend the extra dough and go NF.

Well you know what, that might be true also at least on some scopes. Its obviously true on
these scopes if you expect the adjustments to function. My Nightforce rings have 4
screws on each cap and theres only 2 rings holding the scope on a gun with a
cartridge im using 137gr of powder in. I watched as Bruce Baer installed that scope
and he just tightened them down with a plain old screwdriver. When i questioned him
about why we were having the issues we are with the Vortex, his answer was
(because the scopes junk compared to a Nightforce.)
But then he's always been a very tactfull guy.

I was having trouble with slippage on one of my Zeiss scopes using weaver rings. All problems were solved after lapping the scope rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts