Nightforce vs. leupold MK4.....need opinions

For me it is Nightforce,with the NP-R2 reticle. Leupold to my knowledge does not offer a moa reticle.I changed from Leupold and now own 5 of the NXS's 3ea 3.5X15X50,1ea.5.5X22X50 and one 2.5X10 and could not be happier.Check out the post about the Nightforce that was hit by an AK-47 round and continued in use for 3 more days. In my opion they are worth the extra cost and weight more strentgh generaly means more weight. Just my opion

thanks guys for all the info. didn't know about nightforces moa as apposed to leupy's mil dot reticles. also good point about watching gear weight(i do the small nalgene, water filter thing) and the gun harness system, I'll look into that more.

I think its going to come down to finding a good used one, and I'll prob get the first one thats a decent deal.

I'm definatly leaning toward the NXS, but we'll see. I'll let ya know what I end up with.

last thing....i refined my search a little more and found that this topic has gotten a fair amount of play already, so sorry for resurecting it. I try not to do that, but I did learn some stuff, so thanks again! jon

[ QUOTE ]
he ha he.. nightforce v leupold, thats an easy question, the answer is Schmidt & Bender...
Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete tell us how you really feel about S&B

I would probably have to agree with GG on this one and really, how can you disagree with someone who can hit a woodchuck at 2000 + yardsIf your going to be mainly hunting and walking long distances up hills, Mnt's, ect, the Leupold is probably the way to go. Leupolds are lighter. I mainly varmint hunt at long distances, so I am either sitting at a bench or lying on the ground with a bi-pod. I am not walking very much, all my long range rigs weight over 15lbs. However, I myself would still go for the NF 5.5x22x56 NXS. You can also get a NF 5.5x22x50mm, if you think weight is going to be a problem. Like GG said, scope clarity is in the eye of the beholder. My eye leans way towards the NF scopes. You may want to look through both types of scopes before you make your final decision. I myself do not mind the extra weight, but then again I go to the gym about 5 times a week and most people just don't have the time to do that. I have been working out scence I was fifteen, so I guess I' ve just made it a part of my life style. Weight lifting and cardio help me be a better shooter and hunter. I am not trying to say that I am superman, however, working out does help. Good luck, Wildcat.

for sheer durabillity and performance you can't beat a nxs. They are definently heavy. They are not real fun to pack around but you will never have to worry about them being knocked off if you also go with night force rings and bases.

my rifle is getting a brake on it, and I won't have it for a while, so I'm going to try a look for a used for a bit...

I'll call them if it doesn't work out...thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.