Nightforce SHV vs. Leupold LRP Opinions/Help

I can't speak for the Luepold but can for the SHV.

The SHV is a nice scope for the money. Has very good glass. In fact it is the same glass as the NXS line. For me, I wont consider a scope that doesn't have exposed elevation turrets. Only the 4-14x50F1 or the 5-20x56 have exposed turrets.

I have to agree with a post above that I would wait a little longer and buy the NF NXS.
Glass is the same as SHV but that is where the comparisons end. The NXS line has much better internal components, much much better turret feel and I feel the NXS will take punishment that the SHV might not. Also I think re sale value is better with the NXS scope.

A friend recently brought over a new savage 6.5 creedmoor and a 4.5-14 x 50 LRP scope needing some help bedding it and working up a load. When I first picked up the scope it was so light I thought it was a toy but to Leupold's credit it turned out to be no joke. Clear glass and reliable tracking; not a S&B but it is not meant to be. The main issue I had with it was the parallax adjustment. Be aware that it has to be set to near exact range/focus or the reticle will move as your eye moves. Test and familiarize yourself with the parallax adjustment prior to hunting with it. Otherwise it is a nice scope for the money. We tested the exposed elevation turret (does stick up a bit) out to 900 yards and it was spot on. The total weight of the savage rifle with the scope is 7.1 lbs and it was easily and reliably hitting the 900 yard plate once we worked up a load. For a very light hunting scope the LRP seems to be a reasonable option for those wanting something in the $800 range.

They do on their website. 4.5-14x50 (174506) and 6.5-20x50 (174509), both with Impact-60 reticles.
About three months ago when I looked into them I could not find one in moa with ffp. Sorry for the misinformation. I still think the nightforce shv is a better scope, durability glass, and tracking.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts