Nightforce BR vs. Leupold MK4

bullfrog

I am currently having a new 338 edge rifle built for long range hunting (1000yds eventually) and extreme range (mile) target shooting. I have a budget of no more than $1300 for the scope. I have narrowed it down to the 8.5-25 Leupold MK4 or the 8-32 Nightforce benchrest scopes. I am very familiar with the Leupolds but not the Nightforce benchrest models. Does anyone have the Nightforce BR scope? If so, what are the pro's and con's. Does the eyepiece rotate with the power ring on the BR model like the NXS? Please refrain from recommending I spend a little bit more to buy something else. I HAVE TO stick to this budget.

I put a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 on my 338 edge and I am very happy with it. The glass is outstanding and the tracking is great. The only thing it is lacking is adjustment. With my 20 moa base I can go to 1350 yrds. But this is a hunting rifle for me not a paper puncher ,so I think 1350 is more than enough.I have looked through the scopes you have mentioned and the zeiss was for sure more clear to my eye and did better in low light conditions. If I were to choose the nighforce it would not be the 8-32 It would definitely be the 5.5-22. I think it is a much better fit for hunting than the BR model.

Another member had a used 5.5-22 for sale on here just a week or 2 ago. I run a Leupold MK4 M5 6.5-22x50 on my 300 win mag it top of the line. I would have got the Nightforce but it was out of my price range.

I have a friend who has the BR model NF on his M7 50 cal it he does alright with it I dont know what the internal adjustment alows for?

internal adjustment for BR model will be less than NXS, i beleive 50 moa total? I thought the glass was definitely clearer than the NXS, european style fast focus eye piece that is independent from power adjustment. adjustable objective is more combersome to use than side parallax. adjustments are 1/8 moa.

I looked at a lot of scopes a little while ago, and wrote the NXS off for being overpriced for the glass quality. only thing I did not like about the BR was adjustable objective being harder to use then side knob, and also lack of adjustment range.

I did not really have a budget in mind, but I did say if I was going to spend money on an NXS I would go Zeiss, then a few shop owners said if I go that far go S&B, not telling you to go that route, just giving you a little insight to me. well anyway, i ended up wtih VX-3 8.5-25, i figured that a diavari or S&B was not worth 3-4 times what a vx-3 costs me.

so to close, for hunting I would probably go wtih the mk4, or even the vx-3 instead of the BR simply because of side parallax vs a/o.

where are you located?

I really like the NF BR scopes. My cousin has one a 3.5X25X56 and it is a hell of a scope

They are both great scopes,my only questions would be weight and mounting height and ease of use,if you have to walk with your rifle the Mk4 is 22.5oz v NF 36oz,if you don't have to carry it far i would say dead heat, also does your stock have an adjustable cheek piece?, the Mk4 is 50mm v the NF 56mm if you have the adj c/p, again i would say dead heat.Do you prefer side parrallax over front and exposed turrets over capped? I think we get to caught up in glass sometimes and forget about other important things,just my 2c,Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited:
I think the BR is a very nice scope optically. Easily better than the NXS. I think most anyone would notice a big difference in optical quality between the two. The NXS suits tactical applications better though.

I'm not a big fan of Leupold scope even though I live within 10 miles of their facility. No doubt they make a nice product, but they seem overpriced compared to the competition. I've spend a decent amount of time behind VXII, VXIII, VX3, and MK4 glass and I honestly don't think they are worth the price based on image quality. Leupold generally has good eye relief, and if they lowered their prices a bit I would not have a problem owning one. But I think I can do better for the same money, or get the same quality for less money. YMMV.

I would get the Nightforce BR and never look back, assuming it has enough elevation for your needs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.