Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 vs Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50 m1

308cal

List the Pros and Cons of both. Also between the two, which one would you choose for a hunting rifle?

List the Pros and Cons of both. Also between the two, which one would you choose for a hunting rifle?

I've never had an SHV in my hands, but I have the Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 LR/Ts on one of my rifles and it is a solid scope through and through. I'd say feature for feature they are pretty comparable when similarly equipped. Although looking at the spec sheet the eye relief on the SHV is really short at 3.14" - 3.54". If I'm dealing with any type of recoil I like at least 3.5" with 4" being optimal. Probably not a problem with a braked rifle.

Between the two in comparing what I know to be true from years of experience with my MK4s and without holding an SHV I'd probably take the Leupold MK4 due to established reputation for hard use. I like the extra eye relief, optical clarity, and the availabiltiy of the Alumina scope covers, which are IMO, the best covers available.

Brent makes some great points (especially the covers). On the other hand, we're talking about NightForce here, a company well known for robust scopes & excellent quality. I think the SHV has found a very good niche to cover with their excellent reputation.

Same as Brent, I haven't had my hands on an SHV yet. I hope to soon however as the deal is too good to pass up. I've owned many, many Leupolds over the years & have never been let down. The only issue i've ever had is the lack of a real MOA graduated reticlle, which they have now remedied. More than likely I will end up adding one of those to my stable as well.

t

I currently have the MK4 fitted on my 6.5 Grendel and its great if your going to be shooting under 500 meters. Great clarity, tracking, durability ect. I find shooting out past that, scopes in the 2nd Focal just arent up to snuff. I have the S&B PM II fitted on my 338LM in the 1st focal plane. My buddy has the NF SHV and hands down, S&B takes the cake. Botttom line, if you can afford the hefty price tag of the S&B, well worth the dough !!

We won a Shv at a shoot and I had a mark 4 already. I had to pick one to keep and one to sale. I kept the mark 4. I liked the reticle better in the Shv but cannot stand covered turrets. Also i liked the feel of the m1 turrets better than those on the shv. I believe the shv turrets would work great based on Nightforce reputation, but just liked the other better. If the SUV would have had zero stop I would have kept it. Also I can get both for aboutbthe same price, and if I had to pay more for the mark 4 I am not sure I would have made the same decision. Both are good options.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.