Nightforce Choice 5.5-22 vs. 8.0-32

azsugarbear

I am interested in hearing from Nightforce users: Finally getting ready to upgrade the scope on my 277 AM from a Luepold VX III 6.5-20X50mm to a Nightforce. This is primarily a hunting rig, but lots of practice shots to be taken. I have spoken with several shooters who have suggested the 8-32X because you can see target and read conditions better at the longer ranges (1000 yds). The trade off is not being able to power down and find your animal at 200 yds. What are your thoughts? Also NP R1 or R2 reticle? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you intend on using the scope for hunting, definately take the 5.5 - 22 over the 8 - 32.

I have the 3.5-15 and the 8 - 32X.

The 8-32 is surprisingly poor in low light, unless you wind it back to about 12X or less and mine has the NP-R2 reticle which is too fine to be able to see in low light or sometimes even against a dark brushy background.

It is nice to have the 32X for target and LR shooting in ideal conditions but I feel that the 5.5-22 would be more versatile and useable.

I'm going to make my next purchase a 5.5-22X for sure.

Personally, I don't think there is much of an upgrade, I have all three scopes and do not find the Luepold 6.5-20 50mm V3LR to be that much less capable than either of the NF you mention at ranges out to 1200 - 1300 yards.

I certainly would not take a Luepold off of my rifle just to put on a NF. If I was buying a new rifle then I would get a NF for it.

The NF's I have are 56mm and as mentioned at 32X it is very finicky.

The NP-R2 is marked off in smaller graduations which is easier to use and remember what they are.

I have the 5.5X22X50 NXS and personaly do not want more power. The 5.5X22 has 100 MOA verticle adjustment and the 8X32 only has only 65 MOA of verticle adjustments. The 5.5X22 has 60 MOA fo windage adjustments and the 8X32 has 45 MOA windage adjustments.......

For me 22 power is plenty out to 2K or so...Less affected by mirage plus the reticle is calibrated in both at 22 power.........

all good

responses . Everyone posting to this question has valid info /experience .

Having used both the 5.5X22 as well as the 8X32 both with 56 mm I can attest to the 32 not being as bright at max Mag . This is so with any scopes made or at least it has been my personal exp . More mag , less bright if all other things are equal .

Thing is though I can turn my 32 down where it is necessary and get that light back but I cant turn my 22 up ;)

Whichever NF you get the NP2R reticle is great and simple to use as a ranging aid .

Jim B.

Thing is though I can turn my 32 down where it is necessary and get that light back but I cant turn my 22 up ;)

Whichever NF you get the NP2R reticle is great and simple to use as a ranging aid .

Jim B.

Anything past 22 power and the reticle is no longer calibrated.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.