Decision time..(NF 5.5-22 vs 8-32)

The difference btwn the M1 turrets and the target knobs (ala 6.5-20x50mm or 8.5-25x50mm LR 30mm tube side parallax adjust) is that the target knobs are smaller, more delicate, and have screw on dust cover caps (like normal scope turret caps, just taller to cover the knobs). The M1 turrets are larger, taller, and are designed to be operated as is w/ no extra dust covers, w/ gloves on or whatever, so the top of the knobs have larger surfaces suitable for grasping in low light, w/ gloves, etc.

AFAIK, they work almost exactly the same, just one is designed for harsher duty than the other.

Monte

Milanuk, do the target knobs have the has marks to keep track of the revolutions you make?

I didn't think they did. This is what I heard as have never had one with target knobs.

The target turrets work just like a micrometer, or like a Redding Competition Seater die, if you've seen one of them. Think about it: why would they be so tall if it wasn't for them moving up and down on the turret body for indicating purposes? They show both the number of clicks and minutes per revolution on the moving portion (60 clicks/15 minutes per revolution) and the number of revolutions is indicated on the non-moving body of the turret.

HTH,

Monte

Thanks guys.
smile.gif

I understand it now to be that the M1 is the same as the NF NXS unit with the barrel (knob) rotating around the drum (fixed part of the turret) which has the revolution tic marks on it, exactly the same as a mic does.

The Target turret has the same mic top, which is operated by hand as the M1 not by a coin, but is just covered by a cap.

The M3 is 1 moa per click vertical, .5 moa windage, one revolution only, capable of within 5" vertical and 2.5" windage at 1000 yards, but excluding group dispersion which may add another 2.5" - 5" to that figure with a 1/2 moa rifle as well.

I think I'm staight on that now.
smile.gif

Thanks again guys.
smile.gif

Brent

The Leupold LR has 67" of vertical adjustment and the clicks are 1/4 MOA. The scope is made in the USA and the warrenty is tops in the optical field.

The optics are clearer to "my eyes" then the NF and I have had a few other shooters tell me the same thing. I also have owned a few NF scopes so I can make a good comparison.

A test was done by 4 of my shooting friends. They took the NF NXS 5.5X to 22X and also the 8 1/2X to 25X Leupold LR. They set the Leupold at 22X and the NF also.
Placed both scopes side by side on a bench at a 100 yd range looking at a target that had 30 Cal bullet holes in it 100 yds away.

All four (one at a time) set each scope for their eyes and had the chance to look through one scope and then the other several times at the fired target 100 yards away.
All 4 shooters said the SAME thing.
They could see the "ragged" edges of the bullet holes with the Leupold and NOT with the NF.

I think it depends on each persons eyes but that was the same answer from all four 1000 yd shooters and differnt age groups.

The NF is a quality scope and so is the Leupold LR. I don't think a person can go wrong with either one.
"I" would much rather have two scopes of the Leupold LR quality then just one other brand that was equal or "possibly" a bit better(?) for "twice" the cost.

Whichever scope fits your budget and has the bells and whistles that you are looking for is the one for each person to decide on.

The Leupold LR works fine for me.

DC

Thanks Darryl,
Do the ones you like and use have the target turrets with the caps to cover them, I'm guessing they do?

Are those type waterproof when the caps are off as the VX111s are?

I assume they can be converted to M1 style turrets for a price?

I would consider a 6-20 with the intent to convert later to the M1 turrets?

I'm in the woods then out in the open, kind of back and forth alot when hunting sometimes, and the ability to be out in the rain with the caps off is a must for quick adjustment. The 3.5-10 vx3 is a pain because of the "coin op top" so the target would be a step up, with the M1 being ideal I think.

I'm not sure if they can convert the 3.5-10x40 turrets or not either?

Thanks again,

Brent, Premier Reticle can put M1 turrets on any Long Range Leupold if it has a 30mm tube and a 50mm objective. I believe its about $65 each turret.

The wierd thing about the 50mm requirement is that all leupold M1 scopes (both fixed and variable) are 40mm objective.

There is a member of this site "MontanaMarine" who was saying he has a 6x20 that had the M1 conversion and likes it a lot.

Brent

They "are" supposed to be waterproof when the caps are off. There is a rubber seal inside each turret as I was told.

If they were not sealed, the scope would loose the Nitrogen?

Later
DC

I went with the NXS 8-32/NP-R2.. It seemed like the consensus was that the 5-22x would be sufficient, but knowing my propensity for overkill I went with the higher magnification.. The rifle will be wearing 20MOA tapered rings so hopefully the loss of elevation travel will be a non-issue.. Plus a little "Roy logic".. I'd rather have it and not need it than to want it and not have it..
grin.gif
grin.gif

..I already have a Leupold and have been quite happy with the "click it in" method.. So I look forward to trying out this type of range&holdover once I figure out how it works.. When it's said and done I'll put out a summary of my "findings from your average Joe" on my Reviews page.. JiNC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.