Nightforce 8-32 - 56mm or 5.5-22 - 56mm for my new .338 Lapua?

big_bullseye

Have a new Savage FCP110 - HS Precision .338 Lapua on the way and have decided to go with a Nightforce NXS scope with Zero stop and the NPR1 reticle.

I will be using this gun at our extended yardage range shooting steel target gongs and just generally having fun and shooting from 800 all the way out to 1200 or 1300 yards. I already have the FCP10 - HS in .308 and we shoot it out to 800 yards and have been really having a blast with it. Very accurate gun and it loves 168 and 175 SMK's.

My question is are there any drawbacks to the 8-32? I have many 20X and 25X high end scopes that I use for prairie doggin and long range shooting and the only downside I can see is that some days you get mirage over 18 power or so but not always. I just think that if I get the chance to stretch this things legs a bit I believe that the 32 power scope would be very helpful while trying to aim at that 12"X12" steel gong past 1000 yards. It's a very small target at 800 through my 20X Zeiss with the rapid Z 1000 reticle.

Anyway sorry to be long winded, just thinking out load and want to get a scope on the way tomorrow.

So 8-32 or 5.5-22 NightForce......

Thanks in advance for your input.

I have both. Your question really depends on what is most important to you. I really like the 8X32. I feel like the higher magnification helps at ranges of 1000 and beyond. The downside is less adjustment range and the high speed 20 moa turrets are not available.

The 32 has 65 MOA of elevation and the gun comes with a 20MOA base. Wouldn't that get me out to about 1500 yards maximum range? I doubt I would have the opportunity to shoot it any farther than that but you never know.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.