Nightforce 5.5-22 or 8-32?

Idweld

I am wondering which scope would be the best fit for my rifle. I am having a 338 edge built for long range hunting and target. Just wanted some thoughts on which would be the best one.

I am going to say the 5.5~22. I started with the 5.5~ 22 on my 338 LM and then after a year or two switched to a 8~32. Not to long after I switched back to the 5.5~22 for these reasons. With the 32 x I lost 35 moa of dial up. That 338 edge of yours with 300 gr bullets will get you out to where the 100 moa of the 5.5~22 is needed. The other thing is, most days I was cranking the 32 x down as the mirage would not allow the use of the extra powder. Also field of view and eye relief in a bit touchy on the 32X. I tend to leave my scopes turned up and getting on target with the 32 x was a bit of a task. On the good shooting days when I could use the 32X I did shoot some great groups at 1000 yards and beyond, but that was not worth the trade off for my uses.

Hope this helps you to decide. You will have no issues shooting to well past a mile with the 5.5~22 so that would be my suggestion.

Jeff

I am going to say the 5.5~22. I started with the 5.5~ 22 on my 338 LM and then after a year or two switched to a 8~32. Not to long after I switched back to the 5.5~22 for these reasons. With the 32 x I lost 35 moa of dial up. That 338 edge of yours with 300 gr bullets will get you out to where the 100 moa of the 5.5~22 is needed. The other thing is, most days I was cranking the 32 x down as the mirage would not allow the use of the extra powder. Also field of view and eye relief in a bit touchy on the 32X. I tend to leave my scopes turned up and getting on target with the 32 x was a bit of a task. On the good shooting days when I could use the 32X I did shoot some great groups at 1000 yards and beyond, but that was not worth the trade off for my uses.

Hope this helps you to decide. You will have no issues shooting to well past a mile with the 5.5~22 so that would be my suggestion.

Jeff
I agree with Jeff.

I have an NSX in 5.5-22 and chose it over the higher magnification for the same reason as Jeff said. Also if you decide on the 8-32 get yourself a 20 MOA or 40 MOA base for it.

I agree with Jeff.

I have an NSX in 5.5-22 and chose it over the higher magnification for the same reason as Jeff said. Also if you decide on the 8-32 get yourself a 20 MOA or 40 MOA base for it.

A 40 moa would put your zero out there a ways. I built a custom milled 33 moa for mine and used a 300 yard zero with the 8x32. That would get me close to a mile of dial up at 4000 ft of alt. But every once in a while I will send a few farther.

Jeff

Thanks for the input fellas. I had been leaning toward the 5.5-22 but had recently considered the 32x. The same reasons you guys mentioned were the ones I was pondering on. Thanks again I have made up my mind on the 5.5-22.

Thanks for the input fellas. I had been leaning toward the 5.5-22 but had recently considered the 32x. The same reasons you guys mentioned were the ones I was pondering on. Thanks again I have made up my mind on the 5.5-22.
You wont be dissapointed. NF makes some great glass and they are tough. Dropped mine (actually 15 year old sister in law knocked it over) from 4 feet onto concrete pick it up blew of the dust and shot dead on from where it was before.

You wont be dissapointed. NF makes some great glass and they are tough. Dropped mine (actually 15 year old sister in law knocked it over) from 4 feet onto concrete pick it up blew of the dust and shot dead on from where it was before.

That's awesome. I am very stoked to get my first NF. I won't be trying to abuse it but it happens from time to time.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.