Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

I agree, I first joined and have been reading on and off since 2009 but spend most of my time over at Snipershide for my long range discussions. After this review, I've been hanging out in the wrong place. Thanks again for such a thorough review. I was on the fence about buying this scope but now I'm all in.

Great review Jeff, As always, a straightforward factual and fine technical approach. I will now be getting one soon also. Thanks for the great review! We are very fortunate on LRH to have you doing reviews.

Andy

I agree, I first joined and have been reading on and off since 2009 but spend most of my time over at Snipershide for my long range discussions. After this review, I've been hanging out in the wrong place. Thanks again for such a thorough review. I was on the fence about buying this scope but now I'm all in.

I am a hide member too, lots of wierdos on the hide, but I still feel like it's a good place for information.

Thanks, I learned a bit about setting up and evaluating. It looks like a great scope, I haven't decided its the one, but it never falls to more than second on the list.

Great review, Jeff. Just wondering, do you prefer the MOAR to Mil/Mil? If so, why?
Skip

Skip, yes, MOA is easy for me. I grew up using inches and learned early 4 quarters make a dollar. So I don't even have to think twice about 1 moa at 700 yards being 7" or 1 moa at 800 / 8" , 900 / 9" or 1 moa at 850 yards being 8.5" It is just that simple to me. It is what I was raised with and have always used. Some find Mil / Mil just as easy, but not for me, I struggle with mils. Plus I guess I resent it a little bit. I know they say Mils is not Metric, but Meters are. In 1977 I was turning wrenches for a Pontiac dealership. That's when they started changing over to metric bolts and I was forced to buy new tools. I hated it them and do to this day. A good ole 9/16's will do everything a 14mm wrench will do. That was the beginning of where the US started to fail in my book.

Jeff

Great review Jeff! I'll have to start saving the pennies. I like the idea of the MOAR reticle. The NP-R1 was a little too busy for my simple mind but eh MOAR is a good compromise between the R1 and R2. And I also agree big time about a finer cross hair. The fine NF reticles are a big reason I like the NF scopes. Hope the NF guys are taking note.

Many thanks for the excellent review. I like the way you explain how you set a scope up. And thanks for all the great pictures, they really are worth a thousand words.

Interesting to read your comments regarding illuminated rectiles. Frankly I wish they were not a mandatory item on these scopes.

I know they say Mils is not Metric, but Meters are. In 1977 I was turning wrenches for a Pontiac dealership. That's when they started changing over to metric bolts and I was forced to buy new tools. I hated it them and do to this day. A good ole 9/16's will do everything a 14mm wrench will do. That was the beginning of where the US started to fail in my book.

Jeff

**** right it was. Just got done helping a friend get a Camry started after winter. Cussed every nut and bolt I touched. LOL In spite of having a set of metric wrenches, I'm tempted to strip the heads on every one with a pair of pliers. Maybe not rational, but its there. Its the point we decided to go along with the rest of the world instead of walking our own path, and let world keep up as best as they can. Rant over back to scopes.

Jeff, thanks for taking the time and having the skills to take the shots. I just ordered my first Nightforce, an NXS 5x22x50 with npr1, looking forward to it for now.

Thanks Again.

Alaska_Seth, don't get me wrong, I love the Hide and am still there daily but long range pursuits are the main topic here. I think some of us in the tactical long range community can learn some things from long range hunting enthusiasts, I'm sure you get my point.

Anyhow like I said, great review. I also found a new wall tent in another forum section. I'm interested to explore some of the guys who build long range sticks over here as we're used to GAP, Surgeon, Spartan, etc, all good builders but it's great to find some new guys too!

All Good stuff

Alaska_Seth, don't get me wrong, I love the Hide and am still there daily but long range pursuits are the main topic here. I think some of us in the tactical long range community can learn some things from long range hunting enthusiasts, I'm sure you get my point.

Anyhow like I said, great review. I also found a new wall tent in another forum section. I'm interested to explore some of the guys who build long range sticks over here as we're used to GAP, Surgeon, Spartan, etc, all good builders but it's great to find some new guys too!

All Good stuff

I am with you, I love the Hide as well, but because it is "tacticool" it has enhanced wierdo factor over other gun forums by 1000%.

Even though I was in the military for 20 years, I am essence a hunter at heart. I don't lay awake in bed thinking of the perfect matching camo drag bag to my magazine case.

I buy gear on sale, unless it is something really special.

I dream of rifle hunting in the West where I grew up.

Love the hide, and it is a tremendous source of information, as is this site, especially with speciality pistols, areas, tags you name it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.