Nightforce ATACR Scope Review

Jeff,
The best, most well written review I have ever read. Can't wait to get some practice time with mine. First post here, and want to say "Happy Hunting to All."

Ryan

I've just bought an ATACR and welcomed your review when researching the scope. It was comforting to see that the reticle was correctly representing true MOA on the hash marks and the extra elevation on top of the advertised 120 MOA was an added bonus which I hope to share on mine.

Your comments on the clarity of the scope are certainly born out by my experience. I took my Zeiss Diavari in 6-24x72mm with me to the shop I purchased mine from and comparing the two off a sandbag on a bi-pod outside on a dull day the ATACR had a brighter picture. Looking at dense trees in shade the image was surprisingly better when you consider the larger objective lens on the Zeiss.

The improvement in the lens coating on this scope is very impressive. The clarity of image goes a long way to off set any concerns on the centre cross hair thickness.

If I had the chance of asking for a finer centre cross hair I agree it would be the model I would choose but even if offered later I doubt I would go to the trouble of sending the scope in to have the reticle changed. If the illuminated option could also be altered to select just the centre cross hair and not the whole ranging reticle and this was offered in a thinner version - then I might well do so.

Here in the UK we can shoot after dark on vermin or on Deer if they are being culled to preserve forestry or crops. Using lamping equipment or front mounted Night Vision the smaller illuminated area would provide a clearer sight picture in this use.

The likelihood of needing the whole reticle to assist with aim off or judging bullet splash in the dark is a none starter for me - but I do find uses for the illuminated option if the scope is to have a wider application than ELR target shooting or LRH during dawn/dusk.

Again, if the centre cross hair was only illuminated , this would be quite useful in dense woodland such as our Forestry Plantations if shooting at dawn and dusk from a high seat. I like a low setting small illuminated reticle for this. S&B has this option on their Mil reticles as does Leupold. It works well for me - but these scopes cannot compete on internal elevation.

All told I am very impressed with the ATACR as is - but agree that there are one or two things which could make it even better.

Hunting/Tactical Scope "Golden Age":

The New NF ATACR scope is an excellent piece with many useful features and great glass (the best grade, ED which means Extra-low Dispersion).

I think we are now in a "Golden Age of scope making. Computer aided design (CAD) and computer aided manufacture (CAM) have put us light years ahead of even the best 1950s and '60s scopes. In every area, durability, accuracy and repeatability of turret movement, reticle design and glass material quality and precise grinding, even moderately priced scopes are now really very high in quality. A good Nikon rifle scope is not in the same league as a good NightForce scope but it is still dead reliable and accurate.

As an example of this Golden Age the ATACR scope is very similar to the 34 mm tubed Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 X 50. The new ERS has Z-Lok turrets and a lot of similar features to the NF ATACR scope. The ERS glass is not ED quality as in the ATACR but it is right next to it and, of course, lower in price.

My one hope is that we will see more American MADE scopes like Leupold and Burris. Some very good scopes from American companies like NightForce and Bushnell are now coming out of Japan. Let's see those high quality manufacturing facilities being established here in the USA.

I am just finishing my first hunting season with my own ATACR. I have shot bla c k bear, bull elk, mule deer, antelope, whitetail and lots and lots of long range steel.

I love it and will be getting a 2nd one for my new 6.5 SAUM 4s.

Scott, it will be finished in 6 weeks. I'll talk more about it then but it'll be about like the 6.5x284's thst I sell.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.