Nice video on measured energy transfer

Hadn't thought about extras dragging my kills away..
Dag Nabbit!
Yep, we see this all the time with gophers.
Not a terminal ballistic expert, but I just wonder if it would be better to have a light bullet, traveling fast enough, and stopping 8-12" WITHIN game. No energy carried off the backside.
One of the reasons "I" like the Berger bullets.

Hadn't thought about extras dragging my kills away..
Dag Nabbit!

Not a terminal ballistic expert, but I just wonder if it would be better to have a light bullet, traveling fast enough, and stopping 8-12" WITHIN game. No energy carried off the backside.

I'm seeing aluminum bullets showing up for self defense handgun ammo, with pretty big claims over jacketed lead.
A box of 38spl in this is declared to stop in 12" at 10ft (I'm assuming gel block) while traveling fully 500fps faster. That's gotta hurt, and I'm thinking it would hydraulically hammer their brain.
Then I just watch for cannibals

All things old are new again. Over the decades, these discussions come and go and shooting magazines write "new" articles on this old topic and debate. I've know several deer sized game hunters who will use nothing else than a light weight, varmint type bullet to hammer deer DRT, and while there are some valid points to this, one must take great care in shot placement and angles.

Along similar lines, I had an uncle who loved loading 150gr bullets designed for the 30-30 in his 30-06 woods and short range deer rifles. He swore by the rapid expansion and "complete energy dump" into the vitals with rarely an exit wound, and when hit broadsides, they dropped DRT every time. Bullet recover was usually just pieces of lead and copper or a small amount of the jacket flattened out without lead core.

As for handgun projectiles, this is the concept behind the old Glaser Safety Slug. As a bullet swager myself, I have made numerous types on light weight, fragmenting slugs for various handgun calibers and loads. Usually, I have used either lead shot from #4-#9 swaged into a copper jacket or just shorter amounts of lead wire to make the light slug. These are loaded a much higher vels than the typical loads, i. e. 60gr 9mm slugs at 1,500-1600fps, 75-80gr for 38sp and 357Mag, 150-155gr for 44Sp and 44Mag, and 155gr for 45ACp and 45LC.

Impacts form these light and fast handgun slugs into water, soaked paper and clay test mediums were very exciting and caused very devastating wound channels, especially in the magnums, but they were not overly deep. No doubt, they can and do cause a lot of shock and shallow damage, but if the angle needs to penetrate through limbs, heavy muscles, heavy clothing, etc, they would not make it to and through most vitals. However, they are much safer to use in defense when bystanders and over penetration are a concern.

Similar with rifle bullets, I've made very light weights with swaged corn starch and other light cores, and within their useful range and with high vels, they are devastating on varmints.

Last edited:
We done video! Would really like to see bullet manufacturers present a comparable context/approach with their high BC, hunting bullets showing performance at the longer
distances practiced by many of those in this site. I don't think many of us struggle with bullet choice for short to medium range hunting. IMO.

We done video! Would really like to see bullet manufacturers present a comparable context/approach with their high BC, hunting bullets showing performance at the longer
distances practiced by many of those in this site. I don't think many of us struggle with bullet choice for short to medium range hunting. IMO.
Me too!

Another awesome gel killing video!! Energy means BUMPKISS, seen way to many animals take huge amounts of energy and able to run off and hold their feet to buy that energy numbers can tell us anything relevant to killing game but marketing sure likes it!!!

Glad to see more performance testing but the gel looks more like jello than the bone gel (10% ??) that others like James of BC shooting school use. I think his 600 yards tests are about the best I've seen for longer range testing. That raggety old chair cracks me up every time I see it.

Glad to see more performance testing but the gel looks more like jello than the bone gel (10% ??) that others like James of BC shooting school use. I think his 600 yards tests are about the best I've seen for longer range testing. That raggety old chair cracks me up every time I see it.
If BC is Babour Creek the videos I saw he used 20% gel. Dr Fackler created the 10% gel for testing. But you're correct the gel looks like jello because they are essentially the same material, just different percentages. It "tends" to provide similar terminal performance.

But does that transfer mean anything we can make a predictable and reliable decision on?
If that question was directed towards me all I can say is the three major bullet/ ammo manufacturers I knew used it for testing and r&d. So did the three or more large police agencies I worked with for testing duty ammo. The military also uses it so imo it has value. Is it 100%? Nope, but it's a tool for the toolbox.