Nice video on measured energy transfer

I've always been a believer that energy and energy transfer 100% matters in terminal performance. This video is a very good demonstration. The bullets that transfered the most energy shed the most weight and caused the most disruption in the gel block

Gel blocks don't tell us what dying animals tells us.

I used to shoot groundhogs with 95gr VLDs (6BR). Several hundred GH's were blown all to pieces.
But a significant portion of them would drag what was left of their bodies to a nearest hole, even while they would never survive.

I tried 50gr FB BR bullets from a 223, and found every GH shot since laying dead right where they were hit.
Not so much as a death kick from them.
Yet, I would have to pick up the GH and shake it, looking for a tiny blood spot, just to see where it was struck.

The difference I suspect is that zero energy is lost with the 223/50gr, while a great deal of energy is lost (carried out the backside) with the 6BR/95. The 223/50 is knocking GHs out, and they lay there peacefully dying from ruptured/torn internals.

Gel blocks don't tell us what dying animals tells us.

I used to shoot groundhogs with 95gr VLDs (6BR). Several hundred GH's were blown all to pieces.
But a significant portion of them would drag what was left of their bodies to a nearest hole, even while they would never survive.
While it is true it is not a perfect test; it is an established baseline by the FBI to build upon a knowledge base and reference.

It is because they are programmed to do so. The survivors will drag their dead into their holes because they eat their kind.

I don't see Berger listing 50 gr 22 cal bullets. I know that the 52 gr Match VR have a pretty large hollow point (around 0.050") and expand really fast. The VLD line usually has a smaller tip and doesn't start expanding until around 2 inches of penetration if you clear the tips.

Hadn't thought about extras dragging my kills away..
Dag Nabbit!

Not a terminal ballistic expert, but I just wonder if it would be better to have a light bullet, traveling fast enough, and stopping 8-12" WITHIN game. No energy carried off the backside.

I'm seeing aluminum bullets showing up for self defense handgun ammo, with pretty big claims over jacketed lead.
A box of 38spl in this is declared to stop in 12" at 10ft (I'm assuming gel block) while traveling fully 500fps faster. That's gotta hurt, and I'm thinking it would hydraulically hammer their brain.
Then I just watch for cannibals

Hadn't thought about extras dragging my kills away..
Dag Nabbit!

Not a terminal ballistic expert, but I just wonder if it would be better to have a light bullet, traveling fast enough, and stopping 8-12" WITHIN game. No energy carried off the backside.

I'm seeing aluminum bullets showing up for self defense handgun ammo, with pretty big claims over jacketed lead.
A box of 38spl in this is declared to stop in 12" at 10ft (I'm assuming gel block) while traveling fully 500fps faster. That's gotta hurt, and I'm thinking it would hydraulically hammer their brain.
Then I just watch for cannibals
I've not seen those 38 specials with aluminum bullets, I've seen aluminum case ammo. On chucks I think what happens sometimes is a hit too far back can be quite explosive, but not really get into the vitals too much. Chucks grasing get full of grass and I'm betting that that water logged, fibrous material is really causing a tremendous amount of energy transfer. I've walked up to chucks that were blown apart but still dragging themselves. When that happens I get closer for more clean hits in the vitals or head.