NF vs. Huskemaw opinions wanted

crazyhorse

I am going to purchase a new scope in the coming days and have narrowed it down to these two. I'm looking at the NF NXS 5.5-22x50 or the Huskemaw 5-20. I will say that I already own a Huskemaw 3-12 and love it, however, I'm always looking for something new and better.

The new scope will be for a 7mm RM Sendero that has been to Benchmark for trueing and a new bbl that I would eventually like to get out to 1000. I'm just looking for opinions from people who have experience with one or both. I can get the Huskemaw for about $450 less than the NF and I'm wondering if there is that much difference in the two. I would also consider the NF 3.5-15x50 if it would be suitable for shooting out to 1k.

Both companies offer a MIL/LE discount that will save me a little coin (greatful to them both!)

Thanks!

I have both I like them both tough decision. They both track very accurately. Glass equal. Tracking equal. Weight Nightforce is much heavier. Cost Nightforce is more. Durability never had a problem with either. I really like the reticle of the Huskemaw better. I like the reticle on the G7 Nightforce even more. If I were going to buy a Nightforce I would buy the G7 from Gunwerks.

I also recently checked-out the Huskemaw scopes. I'm assuming you are talking about the Blue Diamond? Anyway I saw on the Huskemaw website that their newest scope was going to have an internal bubble level. Cool concept (I thought anyway). I believe it's a 5-30X and tactical. Link below.

Anyway the reviews on Huskemaws were mostly good so I think either way you go it's a coin flip.

http://huskemawoptics.com/products/tactical-blue-diamond-5-30x56/

My Huskemaw has been an awesome optic to this point. I'm seriously considering the NF just to answer the debate for myself because I know I will have great optics either way. I will say that we run NF scopes at work and when they aren't out shooting they ride around in the back of our vehicles that get stupid hot in the summer and well below freezing in the winter. Not to mention the constant vibration and bumping around from being in the vehicle constantly and there have been zero issues since we have had them.

I have the Huskimaw original on a 7mag and it has been just fine. I also have a Nightforce 5x22 NXS on a .204 Ruger, and a G7 on a 6.5 Creedmoor. I must say the G7 has the edge . The zero stop is very positive and if you dial it is worth the extra $. ust my opinion.

I am going to purchase a new scope in the coming days and have narrowed it down to these two. I'm looking at the NF NXS 5.5-22x50 or the Huskemaw 5-20. I will say that I already own a Huskemaw 3-12 and love it, however, I'm always looking for something new and better.

The new scope will be for a 7mm RM Sendero that has been to Benchmark for trueing and a new bbl that I would eventually like to get out to 1000. I'm just looking for opinions from people who have experience with one or both. I can get the Huskemaw for about $450 less than the NF and I'm wondering if there is that much difference in the two. I would also consider the NF 3.5-15x50 if it would be suitable for shooting out to 1k.

Both companies offer a MIL/LE discount that will save me a little coin (greatful to them both!)

Thanks!
I have a sendero with the factory action and 26" barrel. Getting it to 1000 yards will be no problem. I have shot it to 1660 yards and it shoots 1 MOA even at that range. I have the NF 5.5-22 x 50. It is a great scope. I have no experience with the other scope but I do have with the NF. For those distances I would stay with that power and nothing lower. Mine likes 70.4 of h1000 and 168 gr Berger VLDs .005 off lands
Good luck

I've read the replies so I don't have a lot to add. The Nightforce does have the attention of several law and military divisions. That doesn't necessarily mean it is better but does guarantee it has undergone extreme professional scrutiny. If Huskemaw has same it has slipped by me.
I would like to point out that Schmidt and Bender should not be over looked if the best is what you want. Also pay attention to US Optics. They have great rep to.

Crazyhorse,

I shoot a 3-12 just like yourself. Also was in the same boat wanting to know (for myself) which I'd prefer in the Huskemaw vs Nightforce debate, I bought a 3-15x50NXS to use to compare mine to most similarily.. a cousin and my brother both shoot 5-20 Huskemaws I might add (I have spent time behind them as well as my-own 3-12)

Honestly, to me the field of view comes across clearer and "easier" to get behind on the 3-12 than the 5-20's.. in my-own opinion there's a difference between the Huskemaw's themselves, nevermind NF. The NXS 3-15 is however very-much like the 3-12 Huskemaw far as their clarity and field of view's go... can't say either stands out any better than the other in that category... possibly an edge to FOV in the Huskemaw/may be a touch nicer eye box to get behind* (personally speaking)

Pros & Cons:

NF Pro's
- reticle has vertical hash marks for measuring first impact splash's (if high or low/can make exact adjustment for second impact precision), Huskemaw does not have ANY vertical markings on the reticle to do this
- elevation turret has rotation-indicator lines that appear as you pass each rev. Huskemaw does not
- robust due to weight-bulk (also con tho, for extra weight)

NF Con's:
- reticle (in mine) has 2 moa hash spacings vs 1 moa in Husky-- tougher to find center for single minute holdovers if not dialling the wind
- allen screw turret-fixtures vs. "drop into gears" style of the Huskemaw (tricky to set NF turret perfectly on a zero-line, but more a "pain" than a true problem, only is done once) still figured it a con*
- mine in-particular has no zero-stop (this version price-wise is most comparable to Husky and is why I chose so/hardly fair to say this is a con because zero-stop is available, am mentioning it anyway)
- turret only is marked for single rotation, no 2nd, 3rd etc numerical markings present like other dual-turn scopes have
- weight definitely noticeably heavier
- illumination (I find) bleeds fairly noticeably
- overall length is pretty substantial in comparison to the 3-12 Huskemaw as well
- **** poor parallax markings, I am always cranking mine/lost so to speak

Huskemaw Pro's:
- lighter weight for carry rifles
- drop into gear style turret w/larger style screw securing method vs allen keys
- zero-stop
- turret caps very-nice to have in the case for saddle-scabbards
- the low profile (well marked) parralx knob (also profile-wise a PRO, related to saddle scabbards/horse-back situations)

Huskemaw Con's:
- as mentioned above, no vertical markings on the reticle for measuring impacts/splashes in target situations (really don't like that they are missing this/personally is MY biggest CON to the scope)
- also like NF, turret is only marked for single rotation numerically, not multiple rev
- no illumination compared to similar priced 3-15 NF (not that it is necessary, but still a con between the two)
- no rotation indicators past single turn (also a big CON, be nice to have that)

For BOTH scopes, it be nice to have ffp reticle* In the max 12x or 15x it isn't that-that big a deal they are sfp.. but perfectly, if a guy was using the reticle for serious measurments and holdovers at "powers" other than max power, the MATH would become a pain in the *****. FFP is much preferred.

So ideally, there are small things both scopes lack, other things each are "better" than the other for.. however, both work well, track excellent, and do the same job GENERALLY SPEAKING. Niether has glass that won't strain your eye when watching for fine-details like splash impact at any significant distance or things of that nature, not the NF & not the Huskemaw.. on snow for one very-good example, it's hard to pick out that type of thing... you start straining through this-price-glass in those situations, in both* (must step into the next "tier" of optic for that level of luxury ie: Schmidt, Zeiss Diavari line, Hensoldt Kahles, etc etc/topic not related to this price category) ..but THAT is where the "money spent" optically starts becoming obvious

Absolute bottom line, for the money and overall "tier" of optics they fall into, EACH are top of category and very solid scopes.. almost have to have one of each to realize it. Either one will serve it's purpose just fine.

word of caution: UNLIKE WHAT 40crk SAYS, don't buy that Schmidt or any Hensoldt of sort.. doing so will ruin your thoughts on every scope you've ever used til that day, lol... will be the best AND worst thing you ever do. That level of rifle-scope optic changes everything you've ever thought about even your BEST scopes! ; )

Thanks Rooster! Awesome review!!

Due to "analysis paralysis" I have decided to order the NF NXS 3.5x15x50. They both seem to be great companies that stand behind their products. Now I will have one of each and can take my time to figure this one out.

Thanks for all the replies!

I own a few of each, including the G7 which, in my view, had one of the better reticles in the NF line. I agree with the prior assessments and find both equally good scopes. I would say that if buying the NF, I would opt for the speed turret with 20MOA revolution, and the zero stop. While this does widen the cost gap, I feel they are viable features to have. A comparison of the two scopes without them included in the NF would tip me to the Huskemaw. Also, given the non existent difference in weight between the 15 and 22x max power with the NF scopes, I would opt for the 22x if 1000 yard+ plus shooting was in the cards. IMO.

I own a few of each, including the G7 which, in my view, had one of the better reticles in the NF line. I agree with the prior assessments and find both equally good scopes. I would say that if buying the NF, I would opt for the speed turret with 20MOA revolution, and the zero stop. While this does widen the cost gap, I feel they are viable features to have. A comparison of the two scopes without them included in the NF would tip me to the Huskemaw. Also, given the non existent difference in weight between the 15 and 22x max power with the NF scopes, I would opt for the 22x if 1000 yard+ plus shooting was in the cards. IMO.

^^^^^^^X2

Did the MOAR reticle with the zero stop. Talked to the folks @ Nightforce and the guy convinced me to go with the 15x. Where I live and hunt you really have to try to find a place to shoot 1k. To dad gum many tree's! We have run NF products @ work for the last five years and they haven't had a hiccup. Figured I would give it a try.

The LE discount made the Zero Stop a no brainer, and the cool thing is I have one more build to complete (300WM) if 15 isn't enough I will get the 22 next.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.