Huskemaw 4-16x42 opinions?

Ckleeves

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this scope. I have never owned a Huskemaw, have always used Leupold, zeiss, Swaro, Nightforce etc.

The weight and power range of this scope is almost exactly what I'm looking for. It's going on a lighter weight 300 WSM that I really don't want to weight down anymore than I have to.

How is Huskemaw glass? Seems the reviews are kinda all over the place on these scopes. Thanks in advance.

I have a 5-20x50
I would assume the glass is the same in the one you question.
I have zero complaints with the one I have and am most likely about to get another.
Just my opinion though, Huskemaw better than the average shooter
Waiting to see about that though as I heard NF will have something new in December but that will have to be good to change my mind about the Huskemaw

Ya I heard that also ( new nightforce scope) really hoping its something in the 3-15 or 4-16 range with a 42 mm objective.

I have a Huskemaw, Nightforce, March and Zeiss. The Huskemaw has good glass and works well for most shooters. One drawback to be aware of is that they are 1/3rd MOA clicks and not 1/4th as most other optics. For most shooting, not a real issue. Past 1000 yds it starts to make some difference. Eye box is decent. Clarity is good. The lighter weight is a great plus. You will find they have a love/hate following here. Bruce

NF already has a 4-14 in the shv line and FFP would be unwise because they are marketing the SHV line to different people than the tactical crowd.

I have used Huskemaw 5x20's along with my Nightforce scopes for the last 6 years. The Huskemaw scopes are rugged, have glass on par with the NF, and turret repeatability that is very exact. I actually prefer the Huskemaw for their more compact size and lighter weight. The 1/3 click adjustments have never been an issue and was no deterrent to my taking several antelope and coyotes to 1200 yards. For hunting purposes this aspect is immaterial in my view. I highly recommend them.

I have a 5-20x50
I would assume the glass is the same in the one you question.
I have zero complaints with the one I have and am most likely about to get another.
Just my opinion though, Huskemaw better than the average shooter
Waiting to see about that though as I heard NF will have something new in December but that will have to be good to change my mind about the Huskemaw

I own the Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 and it has been a great scope for me. After developing a load and having my turret made, I went long range shooting for the first time and recorded a 5.5" 3-shot group at 1000 yards. Good clarity and brightness, turret clicks are precise, tactile and repeatable.
Just finished mounting the Huskemaw 4.5-16x on my Sako 25-06.
Quality seems to be identical between the two. I do think the reticle lines on the 4.5-16 are a touch finer than the 5-20 as well as the addition of a pair of elevation drop marks. Windage marks are closer together too iirc.
Haven't shot the gun yet so I can't comment on performance at this time.
If anything, I question if I should have purchased another 20x. I'm used to the magnification now and I think the reticle thickness on it is perfect..

Seems the reviews are kinda all over the place on these scopes. Thanks in advance.

Reviews are mainly all over the place from people that have never owned or used them.

People that have them, love them. I won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon.

You very rarely see them on the used market so that should be a good indicator that the people that are using them, like them... :Dgun)

Thanks for the info guys really appreciate it. I still haven't purchased anything yet for this rifle but the 4-16x42 husky is looking better and better.

Will Huskemaw etch you a turret any way you want it? Not sure how to word this but something not matching any ballistics just like a moa turret or something like a mil turret with clearly marked increments every 10 clicks?

Thanks for the info guys really appreciate it. I still haven't purchased anything yet for this rifle but the 4-16x42 husky is looking better and better.

Will Huskemaw etch you a turret any way you want it? Not sure how to word this but something not matching any ballistics just like a moa turret or something like a mil turret with clearly marked increments every 10 clicks?

When purchased, each scope comes with what they call a "calibration" turret. On the 4.5-16x, the turret has 60 click marks in one revolution. I don't know how many total revolutions there are but it's possibly 2.5. Multiples by 5 are engraved and each click/mark is 1/3".

I believe there are several people that solely use the calibration turret.

Would this be for a hunting or target rifle?

Hunting rifle. 300 WSM, weights 7.1 lbs as it sits with a base but no rings or scope. I'm trying for a slightly lighter weight rifle than some of my others and with around 800 yd capabilities.

The calibration turret sounds like it would probably work fine for my needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts