NF Scope or Leupold

Leupold is out, but I'm always interested in hearing info About brands. are they building cheaper scopes and charging top dollar? Are they not fixing defective equipment? Just looking for info that you know to keep in mind.
Like I said, there's no way that I'd buy a Leupold. Hands-down ... Nightforce for me.

Looking for the best scope I can get my hands on. Money is not a factor. I've been looking at NF and Leupold In MILs.

The NF scope i as looking at was mainly was the ATACR 7-35. But is it actually better than the benchrest, competition, NX8, and the BEAST? or should I go with the Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35?

ive never owned a NF but have an older leupold that is really great! This is being bought for my daughters competition rifle. mainly target with quick corrections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
NF NX8

I've owned them all....so I speak from experience. I don't shoot 1000 yds or compete in any sort of competitive shooting events. I do practice at longer ranges, but my set ups are for hunting only. Right now I have two really nice rifles, one wears a Schmidt & Bender Exos and the other a Swarovski Z8i. Hands down with total conviction, I can say that these two scopes are the clearest and brightest glass that my eyes have ever looked through.
The Swaro is a bit lighter in weight and has a larger objective and wider field of view. The Exos is probably my favorite though. It is built as sturdy as a Nightforce and is almost as heavy.....almost. I dial my yardage and the Exos turrets are the best I've handled.
It's worth noting that I bought both scopes as shot show demos and saved around $800 each.......
My advice, find a reticle that u really like. For me it's a simple duplex with an illuminated red dot center.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the March Compact 2.5-25x52 or the Leica Magnus.
I did have a NF ATACR and was impressed with the build and how indestructible it was. The quality of the glass was a 9 out of 10.....the Exos and Z8i are both 10s. The only reason I sold it was the weight. Just too heavy for my purposes.
My motto is never cut corners with your scope or binocs. Spend less on the rifle before u sacrifice on the glass.

I would go with the Leupold 6.5-20 rimfire comp scope and here's why. It will out-perform the shooter for some time to come. For .22 matches it is a great scope with useable magnification, good glass, solid parallax correction, 1/8 Minute adjustments and a good choice of easy to use reticles. The main reason. At her age, assuming she is shooting with others near her age, you show up with a $7K rig and finish bottom half behind 15 kids with CZ455s and Vortex Vipers, that could be hard to take. And if you think her young ex-friends could be mean, wait till you hear what jealous kids on the firing line might say to kid that's got better gear than David Tubb. I am just saying you might be putting alot of pressure on a young shooter and creating some big expectations. You can always graduate to the Schmidt Bender as required if she ever got to the point where the Leupold was keeping her out of the money. If she is already hoisting trophies, please disregard.
Please listen to this guy. I made the mistake with buying my daughter the "best of everything" because I didn't have much time on weekdays and tried to compensate. She was looked down upon and derided for having world class gear but not being a world class player. She does not need that additional stress. Look at what the other kids are using and stay somewhere in the median.

I would go with the Leupold 6.5-20 rimfire comp scope and here's why. It will out-perform the shooter for some time to come. For .22 matches it is a great scope with useable magnification, good glass, solid parallax correction, 1/8 Minute adjustments and a good choice of easy to use reticles.
For all the attributes of this scope perhaps the most important, IMO, was not mentioned; turrets. Do the turrets give true 1/8 MOA movements, do they return to zero, do they do this every time? If not save your money.

I have the Nightforce competition on my target rifle and ATAC-R"s on all my hunting weapons . I have the 7 x 35 FFP MOA on my short mag , it's way to much magnification needed but love it as well as the other 7-8 NF's I own all are MOA , none are Miil's . They are react as perfect as can be expected and none have let me down thus far. Have owned Leupolds and they were tuff good scopes but that was 25 years ago .

Money no object? So if your daughter meets a guy and bails on competitive shooting you'll have a rifle built the way you want. Hmm I like that.
Hmm......if his daughter meets a guy and bails on competitive shooting, the guy will have a sweet rifle........ Been there; seen that. :) :) :)

Something to consider for a rimfire scope, in addition to the parallax, is the reticle size if you end up with a FFP scope. I've run the ATACRs with the mil-xt scope on all my rifles. For a very short period of time I ran the 7-35. I found the reticle to be too small at 12-20 to use the subtensions. That's the mag range you'll be using most of the time in NRL or PRS. You might go to 25 but mostly not. For the NRL22 matches I swapped to the 4-16 ATACR and have never been wishing I had more magnifications. The subtensions are easily seen for holding wind.

When I worked in the retail firearms business one customer wanted a Browning Gold Medallion w/maple stock...for his wife who is 4'11". He topped it off with a Swarovski Z5. It was very comical to hear him try to convince us the rifle was for her. She could barely hold it much less shoulder it.

His buddy told him to admit that he was buying for himself...he smiled and shelled out the cash.

My last acquisition, a '60 Browning Superposed, was "for my son".....and when you get right down the nut cut, he'll be getting everything when the good lord makes me an angel. So, I'm inclined to agree with that line of reasoning.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.