leupold scope question??

:)wow ok that is good to know. thanks for the in depth explanation. So I think I am set then on the 4.5 14x40mm a/o with cds dials, and then its range time.

Thanks for all the info!!

one more thing to consider when looking at the scopes
is the internal adjustnent range
the VX7 only has 60 moa of travel
the VX3 has 125 moa
if you want a A/O scope get the 4.5x14x50 long range version and have a cds turret installed you will not regreet it.
with only 60 moa if you are zerod perfectly in the middle you only have 30 moa up to go
even wth the full 60 moa(which you wont have) you will run out around 700 depending on your load
retiredcpo

:)wow ok that is good to know. thanks for the in depth explanation. So I think I am set then on the 4.5 14x40mm a/o with cds dials, and then its range time.

Thanks for all the info!!

Unless you are setting up an ultra-light rifle for mountain climbing, I would suggest the 50mm objective lens instead of the 40 mm you are looking at. The 50 mm objective lens will allow LOTS more light into the scope, allowing you to see clearly in dim morning or evening light. Although this only adds 40 minutes of hunting in most situations, these are often the most productive minutes of the day. Compare teh Leupold 4.5-14x50mm a/o with cds dials & I'll bet you agree.

You will be very happy with the Leupy VXII 4.5x14x40 or 50. I have use two for years and just purchased a new one in mm. Plenty of adjustment, use a 10 or 15 MOA base if you want it a bit more centred at distance. I prefer to be able to dial down to 4X when approaching game, walking in or in the stand.

Not to steal your thread but why do the VX7s have so little adjustment in comparison? Anyone.

I'm not sure why the VX7 has so little adjustment, but am assuming it's due to the speed dial feature. The 34mm tube models of the VX7 have more adjustment range, but I didn't want that extra weight on this particular gun. Weight was also one of the reasons I didn't just use a NF to begin with.

I'll have to compensate for lack of adjustment on the long stuff by using the reticle for shots out to 500 or 600 yds, and then only dial a few more minutes for the futher stuff (using the bottom crosshair for aiming).

Adjustment range shouldn't be of any concern for 600 and under IMO, provided the scope is basically close to center when it's mounted. I had no problems dialing for 500-700 yd prarie dogs with a 220 Swift and an old VariX III 6.5-20X40 with 1" tube. I suppose others may have had issues, but I sure didn't.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, ok so I am now looking at the 50mm instead of the 40. I was curious though with the cds will I be able to be good to go up to 300 yards without adjustment and then adjust up to 600 yards? I have a 300 win mag shooting 180 grain hornady ssts and dont plan on shooting big game that far unless I need to. I am real excited to practice at 500 and 600 yards though. Anyways is the 50mm the way to go instead of the 40? I will be hiking with this gun for deer and elk but dont mind the weight.

Thanks

Thanks guys, ok so I am now looking at the 50mm instead of the 40. I was curious though with the cds will I be able to be good to go up to 300 yards without adjustment and then adjust up to 600 yards? I have a 300 win mag shooting 180 grain hornady ssts and dont plan on shooting big game that far unless I need to. I am real excited to practice at 500 and 600 yards though. Anyways is the 50mm the way to go instead of the 40? I will be hiking with this gun for deer and elk but dont mind the weight.

Thanks

Absolutely, you can shoot out to 300 without dialing anything. I've shot out to 400/500 without dialing anything for many years now. Trick is, don't sight in dead on at 100. Instead, sight in to be a few inches high at 100 (or a couple inches high at 200) and therefore you'll usually be a few inches low at 300. For big game, you're holding on hair out to 400 that way even with a standard duplex crosshair.

If you're not concerned with weight and don't mind spending a little extra money, the LR 50mm with 30 mm tube will do everything you want and more for a long long time. No need to go VX7 unless you just really want to.

Great Advice SBruce. Before all the fancy dial/reticules I used Mean Point Blank Range, most of my bigger rifles sighted dead on at 275 to 300 yards which gave me no (or little) adjustment out to 425ish. With new dials I zero at 200 but rarley adjust elevation dials inside of 350ish. This is becomming a forgoten concept thats worked for decades.

Bottom line you will love the Luepy 4.5x14x? Just cant go wrong.

With a .300 Win Mag, if you are sighted dead on at 200 yards you will be about 1.5" high at 100, 6" low at 300, and 18" low at 400 yards. That knowledge has allowed many hunters shoot game past 300 yards without adjusting their turrets.

If you are going with the Leupold 4.5-14x50, their B&C reticle will have hold points for 300, 400 with drop & windage plus elevation only at 450 & 500 yards. Although these may be off slightly, they will get you close enough for big game. If you go online you can fine-tune these to know what yardage they will be exact. Then, if you have time to adjust turrets, or the yardage is greater, you can still twist turrets. This gives you a FAST scope that is still accurate at ranges beyond which most of us should not be shooting.

Good luck & enjoy!

Buck
either get a cds with a standard reticle or a standard vx3 with the varmit hunter retcle have the custom shop add a turret or reticle
to end up with a cds turret and a varmit hunters reticle and you will be able to dial past 700-800 and also have hold over on you reticle out to about 600
works great
retiredcpo

Thanks sBruce, great info. I have another question for everybody on ammunition. I dont reload yet, so I am wondering if I should stick with the hornady superformance 180 grain sst or switch to the HSM Trophy Gold 168 Grain Berger Hunting VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail for shooting out to 600 yards?

I will be hunting in Wyoming for antelope this fall, but also will use them for elk and deer. I plan on getting the cds dials so I want to stick with 1 brand.

Thanks

Buck
either get a cds with a standard reticle or a standard vx3 with the varmit hunter retcle have the custom shop add a turret or reticle
to end up with a cds turret and a varmit hunters reticle and you will be able to dial past 700-800 and also have hold over on you reticle out to about 600
works great
retiredcpo

That is a great idea, never seen the varmint reticle is it similar to the BC reticle. I didnt like all the slash marks on the Bc as much as just the duplex.

Thanks

Thanks sBruce, great info. I have another question for everybody on ammunition. I dont reload yet, so I am wondering if I should stick with the hornady superformance 180 grain sst or switch to the HSM Trophy Gold 168 Grain Berger Hunting VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail for shooting out to 600 yards?

I will be hunting in Wyoming for antelope this fall, but also will use them for elk and deer. I plan on getting the cds dials so I want to stick with 1 brand.

Thanks

You need to try them and see which groups best out to about 300 yards. Since your spread will increase as distance increases, you need the best possible group to start with. Hopefully you can find one that groups well.

With deer & antelope, any .300 mag bullet will kill. For elk, you need a bullet that will not come apart if you get a close shot & will penetrate if your shot is less than perfect. I had a bullet break up when it hit the shoulder bone on my second shot on my last elk — at 9 yards. Thankfully the first made it to the lungs!

yes its similar to the BC reticle if you dont like that set up then do the same thing
with the mil dot reticle

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.