Scope mounting question

chad44

I just. Bought a savage 111 LRH 7mm. I'm looking at scopes now and the one I want is a leupold 6.5x20x50mm. I was wondering if I need taller rings to avoid the 50mm end hitting my barrel(with 20moa base)??? Also what kind of ranges does a guy have to be shooting to go to the 20MOA base if he has a 30mm tubed scope???

I have a Mark IV with a 50mm objective and I'm using medium rings with a 20 MOA base. I have plenty of clearance between the scope and base. The only thing you gain with taller rings is you can mount the scope farther back. With lower rings you have to move the scope forward so the tapered part of the scope (where the body transitions into the objective) doesn't hit your base. You should have at least 80 MOA of adjustment in your scope, which gives you 40 up and 40 down. I run almost 40 MOA in my 308 to get to 1000 yards. If you don't plan on going past 1000 a 0 MOA base will work for you. But if you decide to buy a one piece base it wont hurt to get a tapered base because you'll never use your 40 MOA down adjustment and you will have the option to shoot farther as you gain experience. Midway had a sale on bases you may want to check them out, the ones that caught my eye were 35 MOA bases for 50 bucks.

I have a Mark IV with a 50mm objective and I'm using medium rings with a 20 MOA base. I have plenty of clearance between the scope and base.

This worked for me as well, had over 80 MOA of "up" to play with in the Leupold. This was with a 100 yard zero.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts