bipod mounting questions.

bast0573

Hey everyone, this may be the wrong place to post this, but wasn't sure which place would be better. Anyways, I'm looking to buy a Harris bipod for my savage 110ba. I've heard that you would need to buy an adapter to mount it. The question I have.... do I also need to buy a rail or does the 110ba come with a rail where the bi pod mounts? I just ordered my rifle and should be here in 3-5 days. If anyone can tell me everything I need, I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks a lot!

If the rifle has a stud in front of stock for a sling your harris bipod mounts to the same stud and gives you a new place for the sling mount.

If the rifle has a stud in front of stock for a sling your harris bipod mounts to the same stud and gives you a new place for the sling mount.

I've searched the internet high and low to find out what it has and can't find a thing! Secondly, I wanted to tell you I tried getting the berger VLD bullets and redding dies, but couldn't get either. They were out of stock. So I grabbed rcbs fl dies, lapua brass, and hornady a max bullets. You think those will be ok to start out on?

Sure it will work ok. Just have to keep checking for supplies. I use Midway a lot and even if out of stock I let them backorder and it usually don't take to long.

I've searched the internet high and low to find out what it has and can't find a thing! Secondly, I wanted to tell you I tried getting the berger VLD bullets and redding dies, but couldn't get either. They were out of stock. So I grabbed rcbs fl dies, lapua brass, and hornady a max bullets. You think those will be ok to start out on?

Sure it will work ok. Just have to keep checking for supplies. I use Midway a lot and even if out of stock I let them backorder and it usually don't take to long.

I wasn't sure if hornady a max were any good... I've also looked for vld dies and the only thing I found was a redding vld micrometer. Is that what I would need? I also read that for vld bullets, it needs a special angle cut on the mouth of the brass, I think it was a 22° angle, but dont quote me on that. They have a tool with that angle but km not sure if the hornady a max are considered vld or not. In the description it just says low drag. Do you know if I need a special angle on the case mouth? Or are low drag and vld different? What could come of having the wrong angle on a case?

I use the redding micrometer vld bullet seater it just lets you get more precise but it may not work on RCBS die as threads are different. I haven't used amax bullets but they will work and you may have to try several different bullets to find the ones that work best in your rifle.:)

I also read that for vld bullets, it needs a special angle cut on the mouth of the brass, I think it was a 22° angle, but dont quote me on that. They have a tool with that angle but km not sure if the hornady a max are considered vld or not. In the description it just says low drag. Do you know if I need a special angle on the case mouth? Or are low drag and vld different? What could come of having the wrong angle on a case?

Either chamfer angle will work with either bullet. The inside VLD chamfer angle is a little over hyped IMO. I use the standard 45 degree angle and have no issues at all not even with bulled bullets. I also like the chamfer tools that have the inside and outside cutting blades on the same tool. It is quicker to use for me. In your case though, since you are buying new, it would not hurt to get a VLD chamferer.

The biggest thing about chamfering, is don't over do it. You don't want the edge of your neck to be sharp like a knife edge...

No offense but until you gain enough experience in reloading, keep it simple and keep it safe ... take it slow in the learning process and enjoy!

No offense taken, I agree 100%. I've read 1 reloading book so far and I'm 3/4 of the way done with my second. Ever time I read something in a chapter, it opens up 100 more questions in my mind. Ask wyoelk2hunt, I've bugged him on the phone for a couple hours now hahahaha I'm just not understanding it all by reading it, I have to see and do to learn the best. Just my style of learning.

Do you happen to know about the bipod question by chance? I see that you have to get an adapter for the Harris bipod but do I also need the GB&g 1091 rail also?

No offense taken, I agree 100%. I've read 1 reloading book so far and I'm 3/4 of the way done with my second. Ever time I read something in a chapter, it opens up 100 more questions in my mind. Ask wyoelk2hunt, I've bugged him on the phone for a couple hours now hahahaha I'm just not understanding it all by reading it, I have to see and do to learn the best. Just my style of learning.

Do you happen to know about the bipod question by chance? I see that you have to get an adapter for the Harris bipod but do I also need the also?

If you are getting a BA like >>> Savage Arms, then it comes with ta stud that any of the Harris bipod mounts to. In the bipod itself is where you can directly connect a sling.

Unless you're getting something other than Harris then you don't need anything else. If you need visual, checkout the video ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPmc7V85RRw]Savage 110ba (Project 1K+) - YouTube[/ame]

We bought a Savage 110BA in 2011 for an armor testing project, and mounted a Harris bi-pod with no difficulty and went on our merry way. Great rifle. Easy to load for. Hits what we aim at. Love the brake.

If you are getting a BA like >>> Savage Arms, then it comes with ta stud that any of the Harris bipod mounts to. In the bipod itself is where you can directly connect a sling.

Unless you're getting something other than Harris then you don't need anything else. If you need visual, checkout the video ...

Savage 110ba (Project 1K+) - YouTube

Thank you so much! Just ordered and will be here Tuesday! Really, thank you. Its been a headache buying EVERYTHING I need for this such as all the reloading equipment, scope, rings, bipod, the best brass, powder, primers, etc.... but thanks to you guys, you saved me some of the headache! Lol I'll drop you a picture after I get it set up and send you my recipe of what I'm using and maybe can give some tips to make groups better! Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts