Bipod Advice

StrutNut

I have 2 Harris Bipods and both are very old. I am looking to upgrade to a bipod that pivots but will be on a restrictive budget Im afraid. I can muster up enough for a Harris but Im pretty sure the Atlas is out of the question unless I buy the Airsoft knockoff. Other than what kind for $100 or less what height should I get specifically for long range hunting for elk and mule deer? I will likely only get one that pivots as I have the Harris shorty as well as a tall one for sitting and shooting. Looking for that one perfect hunting size and I will get that size as my "go to" and make sure it pivots.

Thanks!

I really like the Harris S bipod. I have all three sizes, but to me the 6-9 is really best saved for the bench because it's not quite high enough to use from prone if you are laying downhill. I really like the 9-13 for prone shooting. I usually have the 13.5-27 attached to the gun and the 9-13 in my backpack. I highly recommend putting the Alpha Bravo Bipod lock on the Harris bipod's. They are pretty cheap and you get a more solid lock on the pivot. It's a lot easier than trying to turn that small round knob. I've tried the cheaper Caldwell and Blackhawk bipod's and they just aren't as good as the Harris.

My favorite for the price is the Blackhawk. They are about $50, good feel and they make a swivel model. I found mine at Wal-mart

I've sold all my Harris and gone with TipTop. TipTop at Amazon

It pans if you want, it swivels and includes the lock lever.
The legs are larger diameter than Harris.
It comes in more configurations.
menupop.gif

I believe it more rigid than a Harris.

I don't have an Atlas. Shot a couple rifles with them.

I do have both F-Class Sinclairs. Gen I and Gen II.

Most accurate/consistent bipod I own is the Gen II
Second is the TipTop.
Third is the Gen I
Fourth were the Harris's

After that

The cheap clones of the Harris.

The TipTop is not a cheap clone. If you don't like it I'll buy it.

I too am a Harris exclusive user. I have one of the old style (without notched legs) and two of the notched leg/6-9/swivel models. Wouldn't use anything else. I think there's enough suggestions already posted to provide you the help you may need in making your selection. Just be careful of "Harris" knock-off bipods. The cheaper knock-offs are often poorly riveted and I've seen them come apart in the middle of a match .... not a good thing.
On the subject of using one when shooting down hill - the usefulness of any bipod when shooting downhill is relative to the degree of slop compared to the total height of the bipod so don't confuse yourself by factoring in something as uncontrollable as that. There are no constant factors in the hunting experience; only variables. In hunting you can't anticipate or control all the variables, you just adapt to them.

[QUOTE
On the subject of using one when shooting down hill - the usefulness of any bipod when shooting downhill is relative to the degree of slop compared to the total height of the bipod so don't confuse yourself by factoring in something as uncontrollable as that. There are no constant factors in the hunting experience; only variables. In hunting you can't anticipate or control all the variables, you just adapt to them.[/QUOTE]

I've ran into multiple instances when shooting on fairly flat ground with very little slope that the 6-9 wasn't quite tall enough to get comfortable behind the gun. Saying downhill made sense in my mind when I said it.

Thanks for the advice. I have everything else pretty much done with the rifle. New bolt handle, cheek rest, its really coming together. I good Bipod is the last thing on my list. I really thought more people would like the Atlas than the Harris.

Has anyone used the green blob outdoors atlas knockoff bipod?? looks intriguing w/out the price tag. Overall the reviews I've read are mostly positive with one minor issue about the loosening when panning, but a guy fixed his w/ teflon tape. Anything else I'm missing on this bipod?

I researched the airsoft version Atlas Knockoff and herd the same thing. They got loose. I also herd they dont "load up" as well as the originals or Harris and have a problem with heavier guns. They also break fairly easy from what I read. It brought me right back to looking at the Harris line. I have one bipod I bought in 1985 and it still works very well. Its just not level any more - maybe never was, who knows. Since I now have a perfectly level scope and bipod its more noticeable anyway. I would love to get the Atlas but cant afford $300 on a bipod right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.