Vortex or leupold?

Never having owned a Vortex, I can't comment on their quality versus Leupold. I have owned several Leupold scopes and I don't see how their warranty can be beaten by Vortex. Leupold will repair any scope they make with no questions asked, no warranty registration, no matter how many others owned it before you, and return it to your door with the postage paid on their dime. I don't see how Vortex or anyone else tops that.

Never having to return any scope because it was defective, I can't first hand say how any warranty works or don't work.

I can say that I screwed up a turret on my Leupold Benchrest AO scope through my own ignorance and I called Leupold to buy a replacement turret and they wouldn't hear any of me buying one. They insisted on sending me not one, but 2 replacement turrets postage paid, express mail.

That was my only experience and a very positive one IMO.

I presently have a specially ordered VX3 in gloss coming from them. Gloss finish optics are hard to find today at least in a quality scope but Leupold has them. Vortex don't.

Never having to return any scope because it was defective, I can't first hand say how any warranty works or don't work.

I can say that I screwed up a turret on my Leupold Benchrest AO scope through my own ignorance and I called Leupold to buy a replacement turret and they wouldn't hear any of me buying one. They insisted on sending me not one, but 2 replacement turrets postage paid, express mail.

That was my only experience and a very positive one IMO.

I presently have a specially ordered VX3 in gloss coming from them. Gloss finish optics are hard to find today at least in a quality scope but Leupold has them. Vortex don't.

I lost a turret cap on an older model scope and Leupold sent me a new one for free. You can't beat that with a stick!

Having too many rifles seems to be my credo. I always wanted a lever gun in a magnum chambering (not that I need one because I don't) but.....

I bought a Henry in 44 magnum with a polished brass receiver and I also bought the gloss rail and gloss rings so a gloss scope was necessary. Not a long range rifle by any means and most likely will stay in it's case, on the wall, but it's a beautiful example of American Made craftsmanship so it deserves an American made optic, aka Leupold VX3 1.5x5x20.

I also own one of those early model S&W 44 magnums that Elmer Kieth made famous. The Henry and the Smith make a nice pair and are easy to reload for. I handload 240 grain Sierra Sports Masters in Starline Brass with 12 grains of Unique, plenty of load to take whitetails up here in the Michigan woods anytime. My 44 has deposited many whitetails in the freezer.

The Henry would probably make a darn good Moose rifle too.

Personally, I think Leupold is overpriced but so is NF and USO and S&B and March. Vortex fills the price gap and thats their forte'.

I feel this is what it all boils down to. If you can find a Vortex that fits your bill in the mid price category, I think you'll get a better scope for a little less.
Leupold definately has a better variety.

I have two vortex scopes, the Viper HS 4x16x44 and Viper 6x24x50 HS-T. The 4x16 scope is not bad and for the price I think it's a good deal. Got a smoking deal on the HS-T but at powers above 16, I can't focus it at ranges over 400 yards. The scope doesn't cloud in around the edges which is awesome compared to lower end high power scopes. Does anyone know if the VX-3's or VX-3L's have a similar issue since I hear they have about the same glass? I want a scope a I can see clearly with at the high end powers at all ranges. It's going to be hard to pick a coyote of the sage brush at 600 yards with a fuzzy scope.

I have two vortex scopes, the Viper HS 4x16x44 and Viper 6x24x50 HS-T. The 4x16 scope is not bad and for the price I think it's a good deal. Got a smoking deal on the HS-T but at powers above 16, I can't focus it at ranges over 400 yards. The scope doesn't cloud in around the edges which is awesome compared to lower end high power scopes. Does anyone know if the VX-3's or VX-3L's have a similar issue since I hear they have about the same glass? I want a scope a I can see clearly with at the high end powers at all ranges. It's going to be hard to pick a coyote of the sage brush at 600 yards with a fuzzy scope.

I've owned 2, Leupold VX3's in 8.5-25X50 and 1, in 6.5-20X50. There were no issues with clarity, or anything else for that matter. I only replaced them to get the zero stop feature that NightForce offers.

For a nice lightweight low profile hunting setup a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 with the new MOA reticle would be a great option.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.