Vortex or leupold?

You could always drive up to Beaverton and take a tour. May get an appreciation for their optics.

You'll need a passport and a plane ticket for the Vortex...

Quality is quality but...Just saying

Last edited:
You get a lot more for your dollar with Vortex and a far superior warranty.

VIP Warranty is 100% NO FAULT lifetime. Fully transferable. No registration or receipt needed. Just have it in your possession. No questions asked. Doesn't matter how it got damaged or why, just send it in and they'll take care of it free and clear.

well i wasn't gunna say any thing but i have me flame suit on, it might be that way in the US but in Australia they will not even answer emails, i have been trying to get in contact about my viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP for a week and no go ..

not happy

well i wasn't gunna say any thing but i have me flame suit on, it might be that way in the US but in Australia they will not even answer emails, i have been trying to get in contact about my viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP for a week and no go ..

not happy

Give a call to the US office. You'll get any answer or service you desire. If they are not available, they are always great at calling you back.

Maybe even complain a bit to them about the Aussie office ;)

Here's the phone number
1 (800) 426-0048

All I know is that many Vortex model's glass quality is just as good as Leupold VX3. BUT ...for much less money.

Then you throw in that amazing warranty, and it's a no brainer. Below is the warranty description that I copied and pasted here straight from their web site. It can't be beat.

Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it.

• Unlimited, unconditional lifetime warranty
  • Fully transferable
  • No warranty card to fill out.
  • No receipt needed to hang on to.
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cost, we promise to take care of you. The VIP warranty does not cover loss, theft or deliberate damage to the product...that's it.

Ok so after looking more into it what does everyone think of the nightforce shv. I guess my question is will this scope let me dile out to different ranges or will I have to holdover?

You might want to look at the Sightron III 6-24 exposed turrets scope.. I have Vortex PST, Leupolds and Nightforce, I just got the Sightron for my 30-378...For my screwed up eyes the Sightron is a better fit then my Vortex PST... The glass seems be be right there with my nightforce. I have used Leupolds warrentee and they fix them no problem but wait times can be a pain..Everyone says that Votex has the very very best customer service and there is something to be said for that.. I have read bad reveiws on Sightrons Customer Service...So far I am extremely happy with the Sightron..I believe it is one of the best buys for the buck. I would definately buy another one when I need a new scope. JMO Dave

Long as we are on the Vortex vs. Leupold bandwagon....

I have em both and a couple Nikons and a NightForce and a US Optics. No S&B yet but maybe in the future.

The way I see it..

Leupold is made here, Beaverton, Oregon
Vortex is made in the Phillepenes or China (depends on model and price)

Leupold has a custom shop in house
Vortex don't.

Vortex has an outstanding warranty because the markup on the scopes allows them to landfill a returned scope and replace it with a new one (thats how it works btw)....... and contrary to common belief's they aren't the only ones that do that........

Leupold repairs theirs in Beaverton or replaces it at their discretion.

Both companies excell at bedside manner.

Both utilize the now industry standard (brought about by the competitive nature of the optics business, for no other reason) that mid range to high end optics command.

The major difference between Vortex and Leupold, at least for me is model selection. Leupold has at least 6 times as many models as Vortex has. Finally, Leupold was making fine optics before Vortex was even thought about.

Personally, I think Leupold is overpriced but so is NF and USO and S&B and March. Vortex fills the price gap and thats their forte'.

Just my humble opinion.

I have em both and a couple Nikons and a NightForce and a US Optics. No S&B yet but maybe in the future.

The way I see it..

Vortex don't.

Vortex has an outstanding warranty because the markup on the scopes allows them to landfill a returned scope and replace it with a new one (thats how it works btw)....... and contrary to common belief's they aren't the only ones that do that........

Both utilize the now industry standard (brought about by the competitive nature of the optics business, for no other reason) that mid range to high end optics command.

The major difference between Vortex and Leupold, at least for me is model selection. Leupold has at least 6 times as many models as Vortex has. Finally, Leupold was making fine optics before Vortex was even thought about.

Personally, I think Leupold is overpriced but so is NF and USO and S&B and March. Vortex fills the price gap and thats their forte'.

Just my humble opinion.

Now you've done it, I just opened a bottle of red. :cool:

The way I see it..

Slight correction on that part of the statement:

Leupold "Golden Ring" optics are made in Oregon. Everything else from Leupold is MADE IN CHINA.

Slight correction on that part of the statement:

Leupold "Golden Ring" optics are made in Oregon. Everything else from Leupold is MADE IN CHINA.

Thats all I buy (Golden Ring) anyway. I presume you refer to Redfield.

No issue with me.

At least we all know (or I presume you know) where Vortex is made at and it's not Wisconsin either:). Actually, it's clearly marked on all my PST's and Razor, made in Phillipenes. I understand the lower tier lines are made in China but I cannot speak for that as I don't possess one.

Leupold at least produces a percentage of their optics on US Soil, utilizing Domestic labor while Vortex produces NOTHING on US Soil. In fact, even their baseball caps are made in China (I have one btw).

Bottom line (at least with me, probably bercause I'm a Vet and I'm in my 60's) is I PREFER TO SUPPORT COMPANIES THAT MANUFACTURE WHOLE GOODS ON US SOIL USING DOMESTIC LABOR.

I also understand how manufacturing costs can be kept in check utilizing non-domestic sourced parts and labor in as much as I'm employed in a heavy industry.

Thats where I stand. I don't want to be eating with chopsticks not do I want to eat rice as my staple diet.

Again, both are good (Vortex and Leupold) and I own both, but there is a difference between the 2.

True.

Vortex actually manufactures optics all over Asia.

The rifle scopes are made in the Philippines

My Vortex Razor binoculars are made in Japan

And my Vortex Razor 16-48x65mm spotting scope is made in China

I used to get all bent out of shape over imports. But it has to be the way of the corporate world if they want to keep costs down for us. American labor is very expensive. Remember back when EVERYTHING Leupold made utilized their best Golden Ring glass? Those were the days..... and that's how they earned their world renowned reputation. Unfortunately with the increased cost of US labor and materials, you have to pay a premium price for Leupolds best glass.

Both are good optics. But I will admit. Vortex is as foreign as they come. That does not take away from the quality, but some of your money might not ever come back to the states.

Puts me in mind of the 25 cents to manufacture tie rod end that retails for 30 bucks. I have to surmise the markup on optics is somewhere around 300%, maybe better.

To distill it down to the essence of what it is, Vortex manufacturers nothing. While Vortex is pro-active in various venues (good for marketing btw), they are no different than any other importer and thats where Leupold stands apart, at least they make a product here. BTW Trigicon also manufacturers their optics here, here in Michigan right off I96. I'm sure that neither Leupold or Trigicon are purely American made, I'm sure they are all made from parts sourced worldwide...just like the vehicle you drive.

They (Vortex) merely import a product badged with their name on it. Nothing more. Domestic labor costs have eliminated the competition by American manufacturers for the most part and thats really a shame for future generations and us.

Why they can offer their warranty. If it's returned (as I stated before), it's landfilled and a replacement is issued. The markup covers the replacement hands down.

Another example is KUIU. Jason readily admits that to satisify demand and to stay competitive, he has Kuiu made offshore. What sets apart Jason is the fact that the savings from offshore manufacture, he passes on to the end user. Thats rare today, but Jason is a straight up person and bottom line is Kuiu is the best there is.

BTW, I have a Vortex Optics hat. Guess where it was made at?

The way I see it..

Vortex don't.

Just my humble opinion.
Nailed it

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.