New zero without bipod?

The Oregonian

I had been using the bipod almost exclusively as I have shot my gun...this gun was new in April, several hundred rounds through it (maybe 300-400). Gun is Holland Signature Series (Borden action), Hart 1/10 24", McMillan stock, 30-06 shooting 180 gr Nosler BT. 57.2 grains of H4350 getting roughly 2840 fps.

Took a few long range classes this summer using a bipod prone, shooting at the range using bipod and rear bad. Zeroed and confirmed out to 1000.

Went today to do a final practice and confirmation and took the bipod off. I was 1.5MOA or so high at 200, so went back to 100 to get dialed in. I came down 1.5MOA and 1/4 left. Was hitting consistently there at 100..went back to 200 and was dead on when I dialed the solution (1.5MOA). Shot 5 shots at 200 and the 5 shots were about .75 MOA...plenty good enough for the upcoming trips where the shots should be 300 and in.

My question is whether the bipod vs no bipod would change zero that much. I am not going to argue with results...just wondering if bipod vs no bipod would change things. On one hand, the results speak for themselves....on the other hand, with a stock as stiff as the McMillan and pillar bedded and floated, I would think it wouldn't change the barrel harmonics or anything else.

Only other thing that has changed is weather, but took that into account with shooter app. Darrell mounted the March scope with high quality bases and rings...load didn't change either.

What sayeth the hive? Would the bipod removal change things that much?

Guns vibrate as a system.
So differences in forearm contact through the shot affect POI.
You'll see the same thing with sand bag fill or forearm stop changes.

IMO a good bipod represents the most consistent contact you can get. After all, it's always contacting the same point on the gun, and there is no sand to settle.
I like & use rear monopods for the same reason.
It's not all good. There is the medium the pods rest on to consider, because once a pod is connected, the system vibration is extended through them to that medium.

I have three rifles that I shoot with and without a bipod. All three shoot .25-.5 MOA high without the bipod, and a rested hold either off a bag, or sitting/standing with an improvised rest. This is best I have been able to do when trying to perfect a consistent hold in the various positions that I use when hunting, but has proven to be a reliable adjustment.

Guns vibrate as a system.
So differences in forearm contact through the shot affect POI.
You'll see the same thing with sand bag fill or forearm stop changes.

IMO a good bipod represents the most consistent contact you can get. After all, it's always contacting the same point on the gun, and there is no sand to settle.
I like & use rear monopods for the same reason.
It's not all good. There is the medium the pods rest on to consider, because once a pod is connected, the system vibration is extended through them to that medium.

It's harmonics Mike....

That much difference, I'd be checking the barrel free float for kicks and grins.

I sometimes leave the bipod on when shooting off of a front gun rest off a bench at the range. Just fold it forward, as long as it doesn't hit the rest on recoil. Seems to shoot about the same that way.

My new 6.5 RSAUM shoots 2 MOA to the right with a bipod vs the bag. Shoots great both ways though...haven't tried a bipod standing (or not using it)......

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.