Brand new rifle with ZERO copper fouling?

About 20 years ago I took home a door prize gift basket from a NRA fundraiser, inside the basket was a bottle of buch's bore shine, I was impressed with it after my first use of it on a favorite varmint rifle, however when I bore scopped the the thing a found it hadn't really attacked the copper, it followed it up sweets and the patch showed the familiar blue, ended up throwing it out after several other attempts
The benchrest guys at the club I shoot at like to use Butches Bore Shine to remove the powder fouling followed by Boretech Eliminator to get rid of the copper and carbon. This approach seems to work for me. I've added Boretech Carbon Remover to keep on top of the carbon since I fire more rounds in between cleaning.

Try running a soaked patch of Sweets 7.62 down it, wait for 10 minutes, then dry patch. Let us know what you find when using a copper removing solution.
Sweets will clean your sinuses out. Stuff is strong. I went to bore tech and breathe easier.

Butch's will usually not show any blue unless its allowed to sit for a few minutes. Like others here, I've had great results with Boretech Eliminator.

Butch's will usually not show any blue unless its allowed to sit for a few minutes. Like others here, I've had great results with Boretech Eliminator.
Yeah I ran a wet patch through waited maybe five minutes then ran another wet patch through and waited about the same then ran dry patches. I would have thought I'd see a little bit at least. I'm picking up some Boretech Eliminator after work today.

Kevin

So I have a brand new Sauer 100xt. I shot 10 rounds through it and when I cleaned it there was ZERO copper fouling. Not one speck of blue on any patch! This doesn't seem right to me. I used Buch's bore shine to clean it. Am I missing something or am I just lucky? The Buch's is a few years old does it go bad? Any insight would be great.

Thanks Kevin
I have seen this in the clay spencer barrels we used in the past and a few other premium barrels but never on a factory rifle hope it is a good one for you

So I have a brand new Sauer 100xt. I shot 10 rounds through it and when I cleaned it there was ZERO copper fouling. Not one speck of blue on any patch! This doesn't seem right to me. I used Buch's bore shine to clean it. Am I missing something or am I just lucky? The Buch's is a few years old does it go bad? Any insight would be great.

Thanks Kevin
Kevin,
you have a hammer forged barrel, they are very hard to copper foul due to the way they are forged around a very polished mandrel.

If you guys really want to see which copper remover works best.

Fill shot glasses with each cleaner weight a solid copper bullet and drop one in each. Check it after a hour then 4 then 8 then 12. Brush and Clean it each time and weigh. The one that removes the most cooper wins

That is how I decided which copper remover to use. I was very suprised how poorly some did. All the ones with ammonium in them worked about the same (sweets, butchs etc). They were effective but not the best.

Kevin and all: An easy simple thing you can do to make your rifles easier to clean is to use Flitz Metal Polish inside the bore. I Flitz all my rifle bores (especially if they are prone to copper fouling). After Flitzing, the rifle will shoot many more rounds before fouling and be easier to clean. Also, Flitzing has never hurt accuracy and for me sometimes improves it. It makes sense too. Polished and smooth and shiny is always going to be better than rough and copper build-up as far as accuracy goes.

that is a terrible problem. I would not continue to shoot that rifle. Please send it to me and I will work at increasing the amount of copper in the barrel.

Well good news! I clean the barrel with Barnes cr-10 and got one little spot of blue on one patch. So hopefully this means it's going to be a shooter. Thanks everyone for the advice.
One more question though. The directions for the Barnes cr-10 say to run a nylon brush back and forth through the bore. I was always taught to only go breech to muzzle. Is it ok to go back and forth with a nylon brush?

Kevin

Yes you will be fine, for what it is worth, I've been shooting for over 6 decades and barreled my first rifle in 1979, when I first learned to clean the bore i was attacking it from the muzzle with a 3 peace brass cleaning for with a bronze bore brush dipped in a large bottle of hippies number 9 the good stuff with nitro benzene, I shutter to think how that should have done harm but the rifles survived, one a sako in 222 magnum that has over 6 thousand rounds through it still puts 5 rounds under 5/8 inch, some may find fault with but I still use a bronze bore brush but I no longer dip them in a bottle, I got a bore scope in the the 90's i could never find harm being done with nylon or bronze, I put together a manicure years ago, I took the barrel stub and ran a stainless bore brush through that, I could see scarring left behind, so I believe no harm will be done

nitrobenzene yuck !! lucky you have not grown a third arm or extra toes !?!

I shutter when I think of the chemicals that were haphazardly used in the 60s-80s cause no one knew better.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.