Brand new rifle with ZERO copper fouling?

elk wallow

So I have a brand new Sauer 100xt. I shot 10 rounds through it and when I cleaned it there was ZERO copper fouling. Not one speck of blue on any patch! This doesn't seem right to me. I used Buch's bore shine to clean it. Am I missing something or am I just lucky? The Buch's is a few years old does it go bad? Any insight would be great.

Thanks Kevin

So I have a brand new Sauer 100xt. I shot 10 rounds through it and when I cleaned it there was ZERO copper fouling. Not one speck of blue on any patch! This doesn't seem right to me. I used Buch's bore shine to clean it. Am I missing something or am I just lucky? The Buch's is a few years old does it go bad? Any insight would be great.

Thanks Kevin
I think I would try another brand that is known to remove copper. I like bore tech eliminator myself.

Dry patch the barrel after cleaning and then look into th muzzle at an angle. A bright light may help. Do you see any copper on the lands?

I also have a brand new Sauer 100 Classic (Beech wood stock). But I think I shot a about 25-30 rounds before I could see any copper streaks in the bore. I used Barnes CR-10 to clean it out. There are a lot of other copper removers out there. But Barnes CR-10 always works even after I tried some of the newer copper removers and still had copper streaks. I've been using it for 20 years and it appears to still be the best.

By the way, I would be very interested to see your groups from your new Sauer after you get that copper out. My 6.5 Creedmoor extremely pleasing to me in every way. Still searching for something about it I don't like. Haven't found it yet and I'm pretty picky. I have tried 5 factory ammos so far..can't get it to shoot anything that is not sub-MOA so far. Best groups with Hornady Black--0.212 MOA at 200 yards. I'm still smiling.

I also have Hoppe's elite bore gel. Is this any good? I've never used it and to be honest don't remember buying it lol. I'll pick up one of the suggested removers in the next day or so.

Kevin

I like to push a Q-tip down the barrel and look with a flashlight as far as I can. Never seen a barrel without a little copper when starting.

Scrub as needed. Like the Boretech.

Jon Bischof I'll keep you updated. I won't get out again til this weekend. It shot about moa at 100 yards with new brass and reloads I threw together for barrel break in. I was using my coat as a rest (not very comfortable). Also my gun is a 6.5 prc

Kevin

If its grouping well I would be very happy it has such a well lapped bore and polished throat.

I have not used a copper cleaner with ammonium in over 20yrs. No stinking up the shop with caustic toxic fumes etc.

Bore Tech Eliminator, Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper, or KG12 Big Bore Copper Remover are very good and nothing caustic to the bore or you. Issue with the latter one is it does not give bright ease to read indicator on the patch like the Bore Tech products do.

I used to use Sweets 7.62 to remove copper. It works OK, but Barnes CR-10 just works faster with less strokes necessary. But Barnes does contain ammonia so I just turn on the fan to dissipate any odor. So for me it is not a problem.

Kevin, Let us know how you like the PRC. I know there are a lot of 6.5's but this one is new and shiny, so I'm all ears as to how ya like it.

About 20 years ago I took home a door prize gift basket from a NRA fundraiser, inside the basket was a bottle of buch's bore shine, I was impressed with it after my first use of it on a favorite varmint rifle, I'd let it sit for about 15 minutes, first patch came out blue, the second patch came out clean, however when I bore scopped the thing a found it hadn't really attacked the heavy coppheavey followed it up sweets and the patch showed the familiar blue, ended up throwing it out after several other attempts

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.