Shooting without brake

Does it hurt anything to shoot a rifle with the muzzle brake removed? I assume the poi may move a little, but it doesn't hurt the rifle.

No sir! As several have said ……be sure to protect the threads!

When I received my rifle in Feb of 90, I had it built with a brake! I did my initial load development with the brake. By April the brake was off, "thread protector" was put on……it's has't been removed since! memtb

Removing the weight does change the barrel harmonics AND point of impact, how much is the question

You simply develop a load for the new barrel harmonics…..and leave the "weed-burners" and the mufflers" buried deep in a box somewhere! 😉

I think of this for "hunting rifles"…….not those used for "pleasure shoot'n"! memtb

We have been Buying PVA Jet Blast 3 ports, to avoid the Blast / Concussion,.. AT the Shooter and have NO plans to remove them ( Wear ear Pro ).
Loads are developed with, Brakes ON and POI is set to,.. "Lock it Down" for "Verification" of Drops at, various ranges,.. 200 Zero, 300, 500, 6- 700 yds etc
Just get used to, putting in Plugs / Muffs, BEFORE,.. the Shot on Game.

Last edited:
Life's too complicated to Develop 2 Loads for different Barrel, "Harmonic's" for, Each Rifle that, I Own.
KNOW, One Accurate Bullet, per Gun,.. easy Peasy !
Bullet Impacts with / without Brakes from, a 1/2 inch to 2 Inches away from POI,.. AIN'T my,. "Cup of Tea" !

Last edited:
KNOW, One Accurate Bullet, per Gun,.. easy Peasy !

Yep, it's that simple ……for a "hunt'n rifle"!

I guess that I've lived too long for the "new ways", I'm too old school …..there's shoot'n rifles and hunt'n rifles!

As much as many of you folks enjoy shooting and hand loading, developing a load for each, with and without……should be "easy peasy"! 😉 memtb