New toy

Firedad

Finally made a decision based on conversations and advice here and elsewhere.
D8F5B596-03B7-496A-833D-92051601416C.jpeg

Seekins Element 7mm PRC
Leupold VX6 4-24x52 tmoa
Vortex Precision Match rings
Banish 30 suppressor (bought in Jan, arrives when it gets here).

I've got 5 boxes of ELDM and 4 boxes of ELDX to shoot. Do most shooting ranges usually have chronographs so I can see what my rifles doing?

Being a hunting rifle I'm going to get a three point sling or something like the kuiu rifle sling hook. Also I like a bipod for if nothing else to set my rifle on the ground but why there are so many pros and cons with each model without spending $600-800 is ridiculous. I'm thinking atlas though

Since it has a sling stud there's nothing wrong with a Harris bipod, I've been using one on hunting rifles for almost 20 years now. $80 and 11oz isn't a bad deal. Model 1A2-BR2.

Get a LRO Hunters Wedge Rear Bag made by Thunderbird, and you're good to go.

I haven't thought of using a rear bag while hunting. I'll check out the Harris but something about the design with the spring seems cheap. Stupid maybe but I'll check it out. Would you go with the Harris or the Atlas is the cost was the same?

I haven't thought of using a rear bag while hunting.
They're very important if you plan on making longer shots. I used to use a regular beanbag, those work just as good as they always have but the LRO bag is a wedge that makes elevation adjustments much easier.

Would you go with the Harris or the Atlas is the cost was the same?
I mean, if I could get an Atlas for $80 I'd be all over that 🤣 Don't worry about the Harris looking cheap, it's Old School Cool - was on the MK 12 back before everything went 1000% tacti-cool. They're tough enough to last, the price is right, it's light (like the rest of your rifle) and saves you from needing to add a pic rail on the forend of the stock.

I don't know if Atlas makes a stud adaptor for the pic mount bipods but I wouldn't buy a higher end bipod unless it was pic or arca rail mount. Sling studs have generally been replaced by flush cups for slings, and they aren't as strong as a pic rail because they're single mounting point whereas a rail will be at least two mounting points.

If you want to go the Atlas route I've used several of their pic rail add-ons on factory stocks, the t-nut system is easy to install and works great. There's even a flush cup sling point on a couple of the rail sections they sell. I'd highly recommend them for any bipod that mounts in a pic rail.

Last edited:
Bipods are personal preference thing. The Harris is not cheaply made as long as you avoid the Chinese counterfeits. Atlas are great but you definitely pay for it. I don't hunt much with bipods due to the terrain I frequent. Tripods (a good thread is underway now) is a better hunting platform IMO. Nothing wrong with the tried and true backpack rest in a hunting scenario.

I mainly use the bipod on my x bolt to set it down. I do want it for when I can use it. I'm thinking atlas with the quick release. I'd go Javelin if scheels sold them cause I'm sitting on gift cards

Recent Posts