New Elk Terminating Toy

Don't know yet. Will not shoot until tomorrow but I will report what I find on this thread. I wanted a short barrel and the goal was to reach 2,900' with it. Time will tell.
Depending on the bullet weight, I dont think you will see that with the heavier stuff guys are using for elk (200+). I have a 28" barrel shooting 200 eldx, 77gr of H1000 and im seeing 2950

Depending on the bullet weight, I dont think you will see that with the heavier stuff guys are using for elk (200+). I have a 28" barrel shooting 200 eldx, 77gr of H1000 and im seeing 2950

Yeah 2900 won't happen if pressures are held to a sane level with a 22" barrel. Hornady is at 2800 with a 25" barrel and 77.6 of H1K.

But, if there's one thing I've learned over the years that would be we can pretty much talk ourselves into whatever speed we want to justify if it means enough to us.

Too bad we don't have good pressure testings systems at our disposal. I really think they aren't far off from being available to us then all this pressure guess and by golly would be eliminated.

Regarding pressure, as one of my wise friends says "pressure equals speed and speed equals pressure"......:)

Going back a long time and I dislike using memory but back then I ran a 23" 300 Wby and if I recall right with 200's I was a bit over 2800 with H1k.

The better question in all this besides some speed goal is what state are you traveling to for your next elk hunt and what year:)

The better question in all this besides some speed goal is what state are you traveling to for your next elk hunt and what year:)
New Mexico in 2 weeks. I doubt I have time to get this one ready but have plenty more. My son wanted to elk hunt for his birthday this year so we are skipping school and football for a little over a week.

Yeah 2900 won't happen if pressures are held to a sane level with a 22" barrel. Hornady is at 2800 with a 25" barrel and 77.6 of H1K.

But, if there's one thing I've learned over the years that would be we can pretty much talk ourselves into whatever speed we want to justify if it means enough to us.

Too bad we don't have good pressure testings systems at our disposal. I really think they aren't far off from being available to us then all this pressure guess and by golly would be eliminated.

Regarding pressure, as one of my wise friends says "pressure equals speed and speed equals pressure"......:)

Going back a long time and I dislike using memory but back then I ran a 23" 300 Wby and if I recall right with 200's I was a bit over 2800 with H1k.
Totally agree. It's like the speed limit driving. Says 70mph but most will go faster. Just human nature I guess.

New Mexico in 2 weeks. I doubt I have time to get this one ready but have plenty more. My son wanted to elk hunt for his birthday this year so we are skipping school and football for a little over a week.

Most excellent, some of my best memories were of my school days when Dad and my uncle would take me on a hunt. Get out of a bit of school and a bit of ball as well:)

Looks very similar to my new 300 win mag. I have a 26" proof barrel. I also put the same NX8 on it.

Indeed a beautiful rifle. He just might make 2900. The barrel likely isn't finishing speeding up and he is already 2,885.

"Just got to 78.2 grains. Node developed at 2885. Still no pressure. Yes it's new brass."

Actually bought all the components, sent it to Nick at Straight Jacket Armory to bed, spin the barrel and assemble.
Longtine nice set up I Straight Jacket barreled me up a 6.5 prc with a proof carbon on a Curtis Axiom rigged out with a WTO switch lug my other barrel will be a 300 wsm I did all the other work alpine ag stock etc they did a really good job on the barrel work hope yours shoots as good as mine I bet it won't be your last build it gets in your blood