New to reloading and long range hunting.

Welcome from Rhode Island where a 600 yard shot means making a shot from Connecticut to Massachusetts!! It doesn't matter how long you have been shooting or reloading, there's always something new to learn on here every day. Nice to read that you want to share your time with teaching your son the shooting sports. Keep reading and following the forums that you are interested in, there's a good bunch of people on the forum with lots of information they are more than willing to share.

I'm a hunter first and foremost and while shooting long range is fun, I find practice and experience are essential if I'm taking my long range shooting off the range and into the mountains. Wind doping is way different in canyons than on a range. I'm still learning how to do that.

Ohh yah. Welcome Troy, fellow Cheesehead! Born and raised in Delavan. Also Lived in Beloit, and other scenic destinations in the great Dairy State! Have hunted from Iron River down to Cuba City, and many points in between. You betcha!

Study and learn the 3 areas of ballistics for your chosen calibers. ( External, internal & terminal.) And how to manage them. Reloading manuals, ballistic programs,,,. Your own empirical testing - data gathering.

Your scope(s) must have high quality repeatable tracking! They don't have to break the bank, but must track with precision.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

Long range shooting is a fun and rewarding science.

Attachments

• 0903090001_14_13_500_3.jpg
    0903090001_14_13_500_3.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 32
WELCOME from New Jersey !!! To start right off, Please consider getting Good Dies and Shell Holders, a Good Press, the best scale you can afford.( For me its RCBS Dies , and RCBS Rock Chucker press for resizing and depriming and Forster Micrometer Seating Dies, in the RCBS Summit Press just for bullet seating ) a pair of calipers , one for measuring COAL and the other with the Hornady device for measuring OGIVE length. Get several Loading manuals for cross referencing load data. Separate your cases by weight; Clean necks inside and outside , Chamfer and deburr all necks : use only good quality Brass , Bullets and Primers . Keep very clear and carful notes. Never rush or hurry!! No distractions Radio or TV . Work from a clean bench . Don't develop a load with hard to find ( UNICORN ) powder!! Never just change out or substitute components. ( Example : Yes there is a difference between H 4831 and IMR 4831 ) By all means enjoy this!!!

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Troy and I'm from south west Wisconsin I have 80 acres and the farthest I can shoot is 125 yards as I have hills and a hardwood stand of trees. I'm an avid bow hunter and rifle hunter. I have hunted montana, Colorado and Wyoming. Mostly for mule deer but have hunted elk. The farthest kill shot on a deer is 365 yards. I have a friend with access to 1000 yard range but he lives 3 hours away so I don't get to shoot often enough. My farthest shot hitting steel is 600 yards and what a great feeling. I want to learn as much as I can to become a better shot and to teach my young son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome aboard.....easy advice....shoot often...shoot straight! Until you can put 10 out 10 shots at a certain distance.....don't add another 50-100 yards until you can. Best advice I can give!!

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Troy and I'm from south west Wisconsin I have 80 acres and the farthest I can shoot is 125 yards as I have hills and a hardwood stand of trees. I'm an avid bow hunter and rifle hunter. I have hunted montana, Colorado and Wyoming. Mostly for mule deer but have hunted elk. The farthest kill shot on a deer is 365 yards. I have a friend with access to 1000 yard range but he lives 3 hours away so I don't get to shoot often enough. My farthest shot hitting steel is 600 yards and what a great feeling. I want to learn as much as I can to become a better shot and to teach my young son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome aboard.....easy advice....shoot often...shoot straight! Until you can put 10 out 10 shots at a certain distance.....don't add another 50-100 yards until you can. Best advice I can give!!
Ohh yah. Welcome Troy, fellow Cheesehead! Born and raised in Delavan. Also Lived in Beloit, and other scenic destinations in the great Dairy State! Have hunted from Iron River down to Cuba City, and many points in between. You betcha!

Study and learn the 3 areas of ballistics for your chosen calibers. ( External, internal & terminal.) And how to manage them. Reloading manuals, ballistic programs,,,. Your own empirical testing - data gathering.

Your scope(s) must have high quality repeatable tracking! They don't have to break the bank, but must track with precision.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

Long range shooting is a fun and rewarding science.
Another piece of advice.....don't be looking for the REWARDING ANY TIME TO SOON! Patience is said to be a Virtue....( certainly not one of mine🤣)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.