New to reloading and long range hunting.

Werley2262

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Troy and I'm from south west Wisconsin I have 80 acres and the farthest I can shoot is 125 yards as I have hills and a hardwood stand of trees. I'm an avid bow hunter and rifle hunter. I have hunted montana, Colorado and Wyoming. Mostly for mule deer but have hunted elk. The farthest kill shot on a deer is 365 yards. I have a friend with access to 1000 yard range but he lives 3 hours away so I don't get to shoot often enough. My farthest shot hitting steel is 600 yards and what a great feeling. I want to learn as much as I can to become a better shot and to teach my young son. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Come on in....the water's fine! I started just like you about 3 years ago....still learning.... I read everything I could for an hour or more every day for 6 months or so before I started purchasing equipment. I began with elementary level introduction to reloading books, as well as forums like this one. Lots of friendly help here. No need to sweat it, if you're truly passionate about it, the knowledge will come, but the education will never end. I started just wanting to tighten up the groups on our factory hunting rifles, but now own 2 custom rifles and wanting to build 2 more. I have 3 sons and we have built a range to 915 or so on our place. Great time spent together and now my father is starting to shoot with us. Enjoy the process and be safe!

Thanks. I have all factory rifles but have some awesome friends that have helped me by reloading ammo for me. I have a 257 wby in remington lss that shoots 1/2 inch groups at100. A 264 remington ss bdl that shoots 5 shot group at100 I can cover with a nickel. I have a 300win in a tikka that I hit the 600 yard gong with and a 300 wby remington model 700 dm that shoots 1 inch groups at 200yards. I have a brand new remington magnum action and a 6-20 leupold lrp in the safe waiting to be turned into my long range gun.

I tell everyone who ask this similar question the same thing. Find a good club near you and find a mentor. Any club that holds long range matches will be where you want to be. These people are great at helping newbies get into long range. They are some of the nicest people you will come across in all of shooting. It's great to be on the forum's and this is one of the best but to learn from someone in person is so much better at first. They can actually see you shoot and help correct mistakes and help with setup and learning dial ups and dope cards. Sounds like you have friends that help you already as your rifles are shooting great. Just need to get the long range aspect of it now. Shooting steel is very addictive and you need to be ready to feed that addiction once you get going. Good luck and have fun. Don't worry about building the new rifle just yet the guns you have now will do 1000 yards no problem. Some 140 class bullets in that 264 will ring steel way out there. And your 257 Roy is my favorite all time deer hunting cartridge. Once you get going and see what is working for you then build that dream rig. Looking at what you already have maybe a nice 7mm with an 8 twist to shoot heavies way out there. Welcome to the site and the world of long range.
shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.