New to long range and big game hunting

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I'm a new comer to this sight and I want to say thanks for having me.i have been a hunter since I was able to get up in a stand or walk around with my dad.i started out hunting with a 20 ga that I harvested my first white tail with and then to a 30-30 then a 270 win and now a 308 win I mostly hunt white tail but I am wanting to start hinting black bear and hopefully get to go elk hunting with in couple years and I'm wanting to get alittle bigger caliber or just something different in a new rifle that will be used for mostly white tail and then the other 2 game above if I'm able what would yall recommend and what kind of rifle I have looked at a 6.5 but cant really seem to jump on the band wagon right now I've really been eye balling the 270 wsm and 280 ai or 7mm mag but I've not shot any of those yet so I dont know how I would like them

Welcome from North Carolina.

If you are looking for a new rifle, then purchase the caliber that you will use the most for the game you will hunt the most. More than likely when you get an opportunity to hunt larger game, that rifle will probably be sufficient provided you keep your shots within reasonable distances.

By the way, many deer and elk have been taken with a .308.

Welcome from North Carolina.

If you are looking for a new rifle, then purchase the caliber that you will use the most for the game you will hunt the most. More than likely when you get an opportunity to hunt larger game, that rifle will probably be sufficient provided you keep your shots within reasonable distances.

By the way, many deer and elk have been taken with a .308.
Okay thanks that's kind of ehatbive been thanking.and yes there has been many deer and elk taken with the 308.it is a good round and has always done good for me I have two right a savage model 11 police and a ruger American go wild.im wanting to add another caliber and a higher end rifle.i have looked at Remington bergara and tika I really like christenson arms and I do have a local dealer for them

Okay thanks that's kind of ehatbive been thanking.and yes there has been many deer and elk taken with the 308.it is a good round and has always done good for me I have two right a savage model 11 police and a ruger American go wild.im wanting to add another caliber and a higher end rifle.i have looked at Remington bergara and tika I really like christenson arms and I do have a local dealer for them
Hey, Looks like I am just up the road from you...Conover.

A Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag would be hard to beat.

By most accounts, the Tikka is accurate, reliable, light weight, and reasonably priced.

7mm Mag is a good all around cartridge. Particularly if you reload. A 1:9.5 twist barrel on the factory Tikka (and most other factory rifles) will hold you back for the heaviest bullets, but anything between 120 gr and 175 gr will work great. Plenty of horsepower for an elk or bear, but by no means excessive for deer. With heavier bullets, it is also an outstanding long range gun for plinking steel.

I have a load with the 175 ELD-X bullet that pushes 3300 ftlbs, and will stay supersonic to about 2000 yds. I'd not hesitate to shoot an elk at 650 yds with it. For a lighter recoiling deer rifle, you could run a 140-160 gr bullet at moderate speeds, and still outperform the average 30-06 or 308 in drop, wind, and terminal performance.

Also, since it sounds like you're a beginner, loaded factory ammo is everywhere and reasonably priced, and there are tons of good reloading components and load data available.

A Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag would be hard to beat.

By most accounts, the Tikka is accurate, reliable, light weight, and reasonably priced.

7mm Mag is a good all around cartridge. Particularly if you reload. A 1:9.5 twist barrel on the factory Tikka (and most other factory rifles) will hold you back for the heaviest bullets, but anything between 120 gr and 175 gr will work great. Plenty of horsepower for an elk or bear, but by no means excessive for deer. With heavier bullets, it is also an outstanding long range gun for plinking steel.

I have a load with the 175 ELD-X bullet that pushes 3300 ftlbs, and will stay supersonic to about 2000 yds. I'd not hesitate to shoot an elk at 650 yds with it. For a lighter recoiling deer rifle, you could run a 140-160 gr bullet at moderate speeds, and still outperform the average 30-06 or 308 in drop, wind, and terminal performance.

Also, since it sounds like you're a beginner, loaded factory ammo is everywhere and reasonably priced, and there are tons of good reloading components and load data available.
Okay thank you for your input I have been shopping around online for a rifle I've got it narrowed down to tika or a bergara but I'm still open to a good deal on a browning x bolt or christenson arms

Okay thank you for your input I have been shopping around online for a rifle I've got it narrowed down to tika or a bergara but I'm still open to a good deal on a browning x bolt or christenson arms
I've got no dog in the fight, as I've never owned any of those rifles, but some things to consider...

1) There are a fair number of reports that the Bergaras suffer from some quality control issues. Many folks get great ones, but there's a concerning number of posts around the interwebs about troubles. I hear their customer service is good though.

2) The X-Bolts usually work great, but there have also been more than an average number of issues reported with those as well. Also, they are a bit "proprietary" compared to Tikka/Rem/Savage, and the accessory market is not as good. I believe they have odd threads on the muzzle, there aren't as many trigger options, and rebarreling them is a problem I think. All of that wouldn't be much of an issue if you get a good one, and don't plan on messing with it from its factory configuration.

As mentioned though, the above is all second hand, so take it for what it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.