New to long range and big game hunting

With bear and elk in the picture, 300 WM. kicks moderate and factory ammo easy to come by If you travel and handload gets lost(yes it happened to me) Not sure If your question asked about brand of gun but I've always liked browning In stainless. Good trigger good fit and good price
I've looked at the 300 win mag and recoil doesn't bother me ive shot 50 cal and 300 wby mags before but not a 300 win mag I just dont want a rifle thats going to mule kick me all day while shooting I would buy a 300 win mag if I could find a good factory rifle that was threaded for a brake and I dont want to spend extra money having one threaded after buying it. I do plan on investing in reloading equipment with in the year also and your right quality optics is in the budget as well

Have you looked at the Weatherby Mark V? Great value in the Weathermark chambered in 7 Rem Mag or even better the .270 Weatherby or 300 Weatherby. They make an awesome rifle for the money and have some really impressive rifle models that don't get nearly the acclaim for accuracy they deserve. The more affordable Vangaurd is also a decent rifle, but the Mark V is a custom rifle without the custom price tag.
I have looked at the weatherby rifles and the mark v are really nice for the money I just dont know much about them

Take a look at SAKO 85 laminate stainless in that 7mmRM. I have four SAKO rofes and they shoot nearly as good out of the box as my two custom rifles...Dohh. That's about $1500.00. You can put on a really blingie optics or the Leopold VX6-HD 3-18 X44 or even the "lowly" Viper Vortex 4-16X44 HS-T with drop in turrets and you've got a rifle to use from 50-750 yds on nearly anything that walks--total price of $2250.00-$3000.00 depending on which eyeball you choose. It'll be a one and done purchase for a lifetime.

Oh I forgot, Weatherby Mark V or even versions of the Vanguard, very well priced, high quality, accurate (guaranteed sub MOA) and excellent customer service. I have couple of those too. I like the SAKO triggers better.

Okay, everyone want him/thinks he needs a new rifle. Just cannot imagine how out grandpops with hairy ears ever managed to kill to kill everything (when game was scarcer) with just tne old 30-06 The same as today's 308)

Game is far more scared of the hunter who spent 80% of his budget on practice ammo than the hunter who spent 80% on some new gun.

Just curious ---- anyone here shot an Elk, at the range an outfitter can get you, with a 308 loaded with a proper bullet, in the right place AND not recovered it ?

Okay, everyone want him/thinks he needs a new rifle. Just cannot imagine how out grandpops with hairy ears ever managed to kill to kill everything (when game was scarcer) with just tne old 30-06 The same as today's 308)

Game is far more scared of the hunter who spent 80% of his budget on practice ammo than the hunter who spent 80% on some new gun.

Just curious ---- anyone here shot an Elk, at the range an outfitter can get you, with a 308 loaded with a proper bullet, in the right place AND not recovered it ?
Jeez, quit peeing all over the new rifle parade. Just cause he gets another rifle does not mean ha can't take it to the shooting place and shoot it regular. Besides, one day he will need a rifle to pass on to each of the grand kids, best to start aquiring those early and often.

Jeez, quit peeing all over the new rifle parade. Just cause he gets another rifle does not mean ha can't take it to the shooting place and shoot it regular. Besides, one day he will need a rifle to pass on to each of the grand kids, best to start aquiring those early and often.

At his age, that's gonna be a long time from now. He will have already shot the barrels out if he bought now with that intention.

I think the Howa line is worth mentioning here, too. Some fine rifles with good barrels on them. Smooth actions to boot.

At his age, that's gonna be a long time from now. He will have already shot the barrels out if he bought now with that intention.

Well got-dang, lets just list all the reason this poor chap shouldn't get a rifle. Besides, everyone knows the ones you like enough to shoot out you re-barrel and keep for yourself. It's like gun shopping with my sisters kids around here.

For most of us life is making choices. If he has the money to everything he can buy some $10,000 rig. If he is not a politician, he is better off perfecting his craft, shooting a lot, learning to ride, buying preference points and hiring a good outfitter.

Perhaps one of you will buy him what you advise ?

Either his 270 or 308 will kill any Elk that walks.

I have a 20 year old 300 WinMag. Killed everything I shot with one shot. A 20 year old 308 would have done the same.

wonderman4 said:

Well got-dang, lets just list all the reason this poor chap shouldn't get a rifle. Besides, everyone knows the ones you like enough to shoot out you re-barrel and keep for yourself. It's like gun shopping with my sisters kids around here.

Well, why not take the whole thing out of context. Total BS.

I have finally seen the light. Some guy out east says all you need is one 20 year old gun and more is just excess that reduces your ability to shoot as well. It's not what you want , it's just what you need. Oh, and in typical blue coast fashion, I can't work and save and buy my own crap, someone else needs to buy it for me or it's just not fair. Yikes.

Okay thanks I've got a couple places near me that sells tika rifles I will be going to look at couple different rifles hopefully soon.so on the wsm recoil isn't bad with a good pad? Recoil doesn't bother me I just thank about who else might shoot it if need be because my 16yr old brother and 10 yr brother hunts with me and my dad and I let them barrow my rifles as well
The Tikka .300 WSM I have does not recoil (my opinion) and the Simms kick-pad helped as it just had the old hard rubber one on the factory stock. The Simms kick-pad is thicker than the factory pad on the rifle and for around $30, it is a quick and cheap upgrade to the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts