New to custom Rifles/Elk Hunting/First Build

For Bottom metal in a hunting rifle I'd recommend a BDL. I've had mishaps with detacha
Ag composites and peak 44 stocks are similar. You don't have to do another build, unless that is how you talk your spouse into it. Just another barrel is all you need. I have multiple barrels for my origin while using one action. I am thinking about buying another stock, one with a little more weight, and another action just because

Ag composites and peak 44 stocks are similar. You don't have to do another build, unless that is how you talk your spouse into it. Just another barrel is all you need. I have multiple barrels for my origin while using one action. I am thinking about buying another stock, one with a little more weight, and another action just because
I have a short action so screwed on prefit Proof CF 300 WSM for this years hunt. It shoots 3/8 MOA at 200 yds but the 6.5 would do better at 300 yds. Would still like a 7 PRC. I may change out the barrel on my old Weatherby 7mm

I did a similar build last year (I screwed it together), Zermatt TL3, prefit Proof CF ,AG stock, TT special, Hawkins DBM flush mount 6.5 PRC. The rifle shoots bug holes and took a big cow elk at 320 yds. It took 4 months to get the AG stock but I do like the fit after bedding. Like you I want a 7 PRC maybe the next build. The only problem I have had was with Hawkins DBM flush mount. The pin in the magazine release came out which would have been a problem when hunting. A few drops of lock-tite and problem solved.
How do you like the TL3? I'm trying to decide between that and Lone Peak Razor. Going to build a 6.5 PRC for the wife and also use a Proof CF.

Keep an eye out on Manners "in stock" items and you might be able to pickup what you're looking for! I was able to grab a ProHunter with mini chassis earlier this year as an in stock item.

Just in finishing stages of my similar build:

Kelbly Nanook
Manners PH w/ mini chassis
TriggerTech Diamond flat
Wyatt's extended box
Hawkins oberndorf M5
Preferred barrel 20" in .300wsm

Weight as pictured 6# 6.4oz
View attachment 502520
I did exactly what you mentioned many years ago. I picked up an EH1A with a slight blemish. It still has the same warranty and functions perfectly just showed a little discoloration were the mold split apart, and it was in stock and at my gunsmith in about a week.

Welcome.

Have you considered a Jewell trigger? Best feeling from all I've tried.

Also, have you found your gunsmith? They will be more valuable than any one component.

Have you determined your ideal bullet? It will help you determine a lot dimensionally in your build.

Have you considered a fluted stainless steel barrel? CF is cool, but I'm still not seeing them in competition for some reason….oh yea, they are not proven to deliver top accuracy. Good, but not best. I think I'd at least consider a heavily fluted #3.

Have you considered a tuner brake? Might help tune a factory load or speed load development.

Last, have you considered a smaller round? A 270 Win fast twist set up for monos is quite appealing after getting smacked by a big 30!

Also, sling studs vs cups? Pic rail or ARCA?

Which recoil pad? Rifle fitting? LOP?

Just throwing out things to consider….

How do you like the TL3? I'm trying to decide between that and Lone Peak Razor. Going to build a 6.5 PRC for the wife and also use a Proof CF.
I like the TL3 and I think worth the money. The TL3 is smoooooth. I went with the TL3 because of the Proof Prefit barrels. Shoots consist >1/2 moa out to 500 yds. For this years hunt i screwed on a Proof 300wsm...adjusted the scope and shooting .75 moa. More power with slightly less precision.

Been lurking here for a long time, doing research and gathering info. I have my first elk hunt next year and I am also finally able to do a build I have wanted to do for a long time. Hoping to also do long range target shooting as well. I originally was going to build a 300 wsm but then the 7mm prc came out and I was sold. I currently have on order a Kelbly Nanook action with a prefit 22" Preferred Barrel Blanks CF Barrel in Heavy Palma. I also ordered a MBM TI Beast CF II 4 port 2 piece break.

Where I am having issues is the stock, bottom metal and trigger. I am leaning towards the AG Alpine even though I really wanted the Manners PH1 but their lead-times and inconsistency in that regards worry me. I want to be able to break in barrel, develop loads and practice quite a bit before I leave.

Bottom metal probably going with Hawkins Precision and I am leaning towards Trigger Tech Special.

I know it's alot but any opinions, thoughts, questions, etc are appreciated. Pretty long first post I know.
If you are not particular of color, Manners PH stocks come up in stock and for sale regularly. I bought one last week from a site sponsor, and they still show some available today (If your Kelbly will fit in a 700 footprint). Long Action, M5 bottom metal, with mini-chassis.

I am new on here, but have scrolled through for the past few months and decided it was worth it to ask a few questions. I am planning on starting a rifle build for a "do-it all" rifle. I went with 280 AI. I want to get a Remington 700 LH rifle in a different caliber and then get a 24" 280 AI barrel. I would outfit it with other aftermarket parts, would this be a good route to go?

I am new on here, but have scrolled through for the past few months and decided it was worth it to ask a few questions. I am planning on starting a rifle build for a "do-it all" rifle. I went with 280 AI. I want to get a Remington 700 LH rifle in a different caliber and then get a 24" 280 AI barrel. I would outfit it with other aftermarket parts, would this be a good route to go?
Depends on what you are wanting out of the gun. Most factory actions leave a lot to be desired in the accuracy department. You would do better to go with a Tikka T3x for a factory gun to modify or buy a custom action where you could order pre-fit barrels and build the gun yourself and get better accuracy out of the gun