New to custom Rifles/Elk Hunting/First Build

Have had both TT special and diamond. I have had zero issues with the diamond but some issues with the special. I'd recommend the diamond. I prefer to set my triggers to right around 16 oz. The diamond seems more at home in this arena.

That's almost to the T same as my build down to the 50/50 barrel. Looks like I am on the right track for my first build. Did you go with the flat box for weight savings or preference?
Hinged floor plate is what I went with not for weight savings but just that's what I wanted. I'm planning to run lightweight pills at higher velocities with this rig (just got some 124, 137, & 154 hammers in to try out). Also shouldn't kick as bad with it being lighter weight and lighter bullets 😄. I've got a custom .300PRC for big stuff so didn't need this one to run heavy bullets for super long range.

That's almost to the T same as my build down to the 50/50 barrel. Looks like I am on the right track for my first build. Did you go with the flat box for weight savings or preference?
My personal preference for a hunting rifle is a hinged floor plate set up instead of the box mags. Less to snag on during hasty set ups for a shot and saves you a few ounces.

My personal preference for a hunting rifle is a hinged floor plate set up instead of the box mags. Less to snag on during hasty set ups for a shot and saves you a few ounces.
I will add that I have both hinged floorplate and box mag. Along with not snagging my rifles balance pretty much at the floorplate. So if I'm stand hunting the box mag will get in the way of resting the rifle on the shooting rail.

I will add that I have both hinged floorplate and box mag. Along with not snagging my rifles balance pretty much at the floorplate. So if I'm stand hunting the box mag will get in the way of resting the rifle on the shooting rail.
Now you gave me something to think about. I was pretty set on box mag due to ease of loading and unloading as well as transporting ammo

Now you gave me something to think about. I was pretty set on box mag due to ease of loading and unloading as well as transporting ammo
I do like having a mag for the ease of loading and unloading and carrying ammo. But If I'm sitting in a stand and the rifle at rest I want it to balance so I don't make a lot of movement and noise if I go to take a shot. All we could do is share our opinions and experiences to help you make an educated decision and we all have opinions

I do like having a mag for the ease of loading and unloading and carrying ammo. But If I'm sitting in a stand and the rifle at rest I want it to balance so I don't make a lot of movement and noise if I go to take a shot. All we could do is share our opinions and experiences to help you make an educated decision and we all have opinions
That was the purpose of this post for me. Being inexperienced I was hoping this would bring other things into perspective and make me think about that I otherwise not have. Looks like so far it is working

That was the purpose of this post for me. Being inexperienced I was hoping this would bring other things into perspective and make me think about that I otherwise not have. Looks like so far it is working
In Elk country when you are carrying the rifle up a lot of vertical or in a scabbard on a horse that mag will be horribly in the way or digging into your side/back/shoulder. It's also very possible to end up with a single shot when Murphy steps in. If you need 10+ rds rapidly you shouldn't have taken the first shot. A drop floorplate is super easy to unload. Detachable Mags have their place. An Elk hunt isn't one of them IME/IMO. The Wyatt box @arrow179 has in the longer version for the 7mm PRC is a great choice.

Another suggestion is look at Kifaru's Gun Bearer to carry it and I am a huge fan of carbon tripods for glassing and shooting.

Your parts list looks good. I would suggest this about the stock. If you really want a Manners, get a Manners. Don't 'settle' for an AG. Not saying an AG isn't a good stock. I have an AG Alpine Hunter and it's nice but if it's not what you want, you won't be happy and will probably sell the whole rifle or at least change the stock later. The old buy once, cry once adage. Keep your eye on the classified section here. I've seen several MCS-PHs listed.
The TT Special is a nice trigger but get the Diamond. I've noticed that I have adjusted my trigger pull lighter over the last couple of years. It sounds scary at first to have a trigger set to 1 pound but it is really nice after you get used to it.
Go with the Hawkins Hunter DBM for bottom metal if you want a mag. You won't get as many rounds but it's pretty flush with the bottom of the stock. Honestly, I've never taken more than 2 shots at an animal so 3+1 is plenty. If you don't like it, you can always install a Hawkins M5 DBM or Oberndorf later.
My suggestions are only a couple of hundred dollars more at the beginning of your project but would add up if you start replacing things after the rifle is built. Good luck with your build!

Check with Ryan Pierce at Piercision rifles on the Manners stock. He keeps some in stock and available most times. If the barrel inlet isn't exactly right, your gunsmith can correct it easily.

I have both Diamond and Special Trigger tech triggers. For my preferred weight (2# or so) I see no difference in feel or performance.

Make sure your gunsmith uses a reamer from JLG that is a 7PRC AW reamer. All PRC cartridges have clicker issues and that reamer seems to resolve Hornady's mistake.

Bottom metal is a personal preference thing. I prefer detachable. I have both AICS style detachable and Hawkins Hunter detachable setups. I like them both. My 300NMI has a BDL floor place with a center feed Wyatt's box and has to be loaded from the bottom which is a bit of a pain. I will be changing that.

My current favorite DBM is the Unknowm Munitions.

Looks like Ryan can get me hooked up with PH1! Thanks for that suggestion everyone, now to decide on bottom metal and/or mini chassis which he can also get. Looking more and more like Diamond also lol.

Steve you are correct about buy once cry once and I am in the fortunate position to be able to do this at this point in my life. Hopefully my kid gets to enjoy this build whenever I'm gone lol