New to custom Rifles/Elk Hunting/First Build

DE Raul

Been lurking here for a long time, doing research and gathering info. I have my first elk hunt next year and I am also finally able to do a build I have wanted to do for a long time. Hoping to also do long range target shooting as well. I originally was going to build a 300 wsm but then the 7mm prc came out and I was sold. I currently have on order a Kelbly Nanook action with a prefit 22" Preferred Barrel Blanks CF Barrel in Heavy Palma. I also ordered a MBM TI Beast CF II 4 port 2 piece break.

Where I am having issues is the stock, bottom metal and trigger. I am leaning towards the AG Alpine even though I really wanted the Manners PH1 but their lead-times and inconsistency in that regards worry me. I want to be able to break in barrel, develop loads and practice quite a bit before I leave.

Bottom metal probably going with Hawkins Precision and I am leaning towards Trigger Tech Special.

I know it's alot but any opinions, thoughts, questions, etc are appreciated. Pretty long first post I know.

You are on a path to a really nice rifle, i spoke with a manners last week and they mentioned 6 months lead time from order.

I would recommend you add up all the weight of the scoped rifle. Mine is 12.5 lbs and very heavy in the mountains. I have a Manners LRH ordered to save about 1.5 lbs.

You are on a path to a really nice rifle, i spoke with a manners last week and they mentioned 6 months lead time from order.

I would recommend you add up all the weight of the scoped rifle. Mine is 12.5 lbs and very heavy in the mountains. I have a Manners LRH ordered to save about 1.5

I would recommend you add up all the weight of the scoped rifle. Mine is 12.5 lbs and very heavy in the mountains. I have a Manners LRH ordered to save about 1.5 lbs.

As it sits if I go with the AG Alpine stock I would be at 9lbs 6 ozs and with the PH1 if I can find it 9lbs 1oz. This is all based on description weights which might be off I a sure. I am going to put a Vortex Strike Eagle FFP 5-25X56 to start with. I have a friend with one on his 338 lapua and I think it will work well for me.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Utah!

On the trigger, you can't go wrong with TriggerTech and I would absolutely go that route. BIx N Andy are also excellent. I don't own a Bix yet but have shot them and wouldn't hesitate to run one.

With the TriggerTech different models it's all about the pull weight you prefer. On my chassis where I want a very light trigger I run a Diamond two stage set 1lb or a little less total (both stages somewhere near 4oz/12oz-) that gives me the ability to cover the trigger without unintentionally sending a round. Especially w/cold weather or some adrenaline/excitement. On hunting rifles I don't go that light and run a Primary in my little Kimber 84M 6.5CM (because they don't have a Special for the Kimber). I have a Special for the Defiance CRF 7mm PRC in the works. Leave a little cushion on the bottom end of the weight range you want to run as the pull weight adjustment isn't quite as precise as you approach the limit. If you want a 2lb trigger any will be fine. If you want 1.5lb, go Diamond or Special (at 1.5lb you won't be able to tell the difference between a Diamond and a Special but "maybe" with a Primary). If you want to get very close to or under 1lb go Diamond. There's no difference in feel other than the ability to go light. No disadvantage to the Diamond other than $ but you have to stay under 32oz pull.

On the trigger lever/shoe/bow itself. I really like the flat with the chassis. On hunting rifle I prefer the pro smooth curved. I don't care for the grooved. It depends on the stock and how vertical the grip is and bottom metal shape.

Last edited:

Keep an eye out on Manners "in stock" items and you might be able to pickup what you're looking for! I was able to grab a ProHunter with mini chassis earlier this year as an in stock item.

Just in finishing stages of my similar build:

Kelbly Nanook
Manners PH w/ mini chassis
TriggerTech Diamond flat
Wyatt's extended box
Hawkins oberndorf M5
Preferred barrel 20" in .300wsm

Weight as pictured 6# 6.4oz
71777588132__D8D31B4E-68C0-42B7-8D4B-8DE9E30671D3.jpeg

Keep an eye out on Manners "in stock" items and you might be able to pickup what you're looking for! I was able to grab a ProHunter with mini chassis earlier this year as an in stock item.

Just in finishing stages of my similar build:

Kelbly Nanook
Manners PH w/ mini chassis
TriggerTech Diamond flat
Wyatt's extended box
Hawkins oberndorf M5
Preferred barrel 20" in .300wsm

Weight as pictured 6# 6.4oz
View attachment 502520
That's almost to the T same as my build down to the 50/50 barrel. Looks like I am on the right track for my first build. Did you go with the flat box for weight savings or preference?

Like you I went through this same process for my first elk hunt. 300 Rum
I went with McMillan Game Warden 2.0
Trigger Tech Diamond set at 2.0 lbs. I think that is max weight.
Defiance deviant hunter
Bartlein # 4 26 inch barrel
Hawkins LA BDL extended
Ross 4 port break
Build completed by Southern Precision Rifles in Cookville TN
The gun performed flawlessly with one shot at 310 yards on 5x5. It is heavy, weighing in at 13lbs with NF scope and bi-pod
A custom build imo is worth every penny.
Good luck with your build.

Been lurking here for a long time, doing research and gathering info. I have my first elk hunt next year and I am also finally able to do a build I have wanted to do for a long time. Hoping to also do long range target shooting as well. I originally was going to build a 300 wsm but then the 7mm prc came out and I was sold. I currently have on order a Kelbly Nanook action with a prefit 22" Preferred Barrel Blanks CF Barrel in Heavy Palma. I also ordered a MBM TI Beast CF II 4 port 2 piece break.

Where I am having issues is the stock, bottom metal and trigger. I am leaning towards the AG Alpine even though I really wanted the Manners PH1 but their lead-times and inconsistency in that regards worry me. I want to be able to break in barrel, develop loads and practice quite a bit before I leave.

Bottom metal probably going with Hawkins Precision and I am leaning towards Trigger Tech Special.

I know it's alot but any opinions, thoughts, questions, etc are appreciated. Pretty long first post I know.
Welcome from Colorado, agree with everyone on the custom build, have one, every non custom build I have has the trigger replaced and other items, it is gratifying when it all comes together and shoots how you want it to.

Recent Posts