first custom build

pythonwill

Ok, I am about to get my first rifle build back from the smith. Its gonna be a 338 Edge. Do you think I went the right route? its just gonna be used for canyon hunting and punching paper mostly. I havent got a good scope for it yet.. I will have to wait till I have a bit more $$ saved up before I get that. for now I will have a Leupold 3.5x10x40 with B/C reticle. I will post pics or it all when I do get it back
here is what I had for parts.

Rem 700 SS action (off 300WM sendero)
Badger Ordinance bolt knob
Jewell trigger
Wyatt extended magazine box
factory SS bottom metal
Lilja #8 contour SS fluted barrel 30"
a large brake, flat on top and bottom. like a slab type?
McMillan A-5 stock

Congratulations!, I imagine it will be quiet the LR thunder stick. Got some great components in it. Yeah, I'd have to upgrade that 3.5-10 to something that I could see with, like a 6.5-20. Just me, I like lots of glass (X wise). Post some eye candy if you can and let us know how she shoots! JohnnyK.

ya the scope will defiantly be upgraded. Leupold is right down the road from here and i got a few friends that work there. they sometimes get crazy deals on scopes from the custom shop that people didn't pay for or it wasn't just what they wanted. I am hoping they will be able to help me out on one when the money is available. I may also go with a NF if I wait till tax time next year. not sure where the cards will fall at this time.

Congratulations. 338 Edge I wouldn't give it a second thought with those components-good list. In particular I don't think you can go wrong with a Lilja barrel and a Jewell trigger. Personally I prefer an NF although I think you'd be verry happy with a Leupold. There are a number of fellas here that do quite well and prefer 3.5-10x for LR so don't concern yourself too much over that while waiting to get a new scope, that's assuming your eyes aren't like mine...aged, I like lots of X like in the 40's power range but, then again I shoot alot of paper so FOV isn't a concern but mirage can be.

Let us know how your rig shoots and post some pics when you get a chance. Enjoy.

You have as good as it gets on your action. You are going to have fun with it and be very impressed with what it will do. You will be able to kill stuff probably further than you can hit it. Hunting long range with a 10 power scope is very difficult and takes a lot of practice but can be done. Most do not have a paralax adjustment and you have got to be good to shoot long range without adjusting paralax. But you can make hits on large big game at 1000 yards if your eyes are good enough and you learn to shoot without the paralax adjustment. Your form must be perfect every shot or the reticle will move all over the target. It is give and take. With the high power you may miss some close opportunities with the narrow field of veiw of a high power scope that you would make with wide fov. High power is for wide open spaces and will cost you if you hunt in timber very much. I live and hunt regularly in grizzly country so I must have a wide fov for getting on a bear quick if I surprise one. The Nikon Monarch 3-12 has a generous fov and a paralax adjustment for long range. Also the 4-16 Monarch has about the same fov as a 3-10 leupold. Both are fairly lightweight also.

Bottom line is if you shoot in wide open spaces with plenty of light the high power scopes allow you to shoot better period. But if you hunt in the woods in low light conditions at dawn or dusk the fov and light gathering ability of the 10-12 power sopes may get you more kills. Again, give and take.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts